mysqli error: [2006: MySQL server has gone away]

Connect with other users about what to run on your webhosting (and how to run it) here.
Plunkin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

mysqli error: [2006: MySQL server has gone away]

Post by Plunkin »

This error has occurred with our Sourcebans database. After NFO conducted their web server upgrades a couple weeks ago I noticed an immediate slow load of our 'banlist' page. Within a few days this error occurred when we clicked on that page and continues to this day, even after a database repair (also compared before and after SQL backups). Didn't see anything game server side but I updated SM and MM to the latest stable releases with no luck (stab in the dark). The full error list can be seen here (just have to wait for it to load):
http://adultgamerscommunity.com/sourceb ... ?p=banlist

The 'Dashboard' page loads fine (http://adultgamerscommunity.com/sourcebans/) and we can view recent bans. We can also conduct searches after we click on a recent ban. There are no connectivity errors in our Sourcemod error logs on the game servers. All bans are still being recorded and admins are fully functional (controlled through Sourcebans). Did a webserver binary file compare in the Sourcebans directory with no differences found between a backup I did a week before the update and after.

Is there a change needed due to the webserver update? The only difference I saw in the SQL before and after file compare was the server version and PHP version changes.

Thanks in advance!
Plunk

EDIT: Our forums database was not effected in any way.
AdultGamersCommunity.com
Made for adults, by adults... prepubescent whiners not allowed!

Nails wrote: Well, one thing we can be proud of is when we do something, good or bad, we don't half ass it!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: mysqli error: [2006: MySQL server has gone away]

Post by Edge100x »

I have seen several Sourcebans installs with extremely long-running queries that seem to be caused by the client application hanging (causing the query to hang as well). This is something that the developer would fundamentally have to address, as it likely represents a design flaw.
Plunkin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Plunkin »

Our database goes back I would guess 6-7 years. Would you suggest purging oldest bans? I have the latest 'stable' version of Sourcebans as of now. There was work being done on a couple updated versions... 1.5 and 2.0, but it seems both have been unfortunately abandoned before official releases. Too bad to see a good thing get tossed aside. Wish I was better at coding :|

I just found it very coincidental it happened right after the server upgrade which is why I had posted here. Couldn't find anything on a web search.
AdultGamersCommunity.com
Made for adults, by adults... prepubescent whiners not allowed!

Nails wrote: Well, one thing we can be proud of is when we do something, good or bad, we don't half ass it!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That is worth a try.

It is possible that the old MySQL version timed these out and the new one doesn't, or something along those lines. I wasn't able to find anything obvious in my previous examination, though.