Rust support?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Rust support?

Post by TacTicToe »

How were you able to get a server online, if you dont have the password needed to download the server? From what I understand, only the chosen few are able to put servers up. Has the password been made available?
aStonedPenguin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by aStonedPenguin »

I've made a thread on facepunch of anywhere here wants to share there opinions on this topic there you can view it here.
megaman
New to forums
New to forums

Post by megaman »

Soon as nfo supports Rust I am getting a 3 core vds for sure.
Groovius
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Groovius »

I want to host a rust server, and I really don't want to have to go somewhere else to do so. Hurry up Garry lol!
dgall
New to forums
New to forums

Post by dgall »

Kraze,

I really appreciate you guys looking into it. Dealing with the crappy hosts has been absolute hell, constant DDOSing and total lack of control as you can imagine.

That beta password needs to "leak" for the sake of a fellow sysadmin's sanity :wink: .
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We have been working with a customer who has beta access in order to test the game. However, we don't yet know what Garry's stance is on allowing beta participants to more widely share it with GSPs for the purposes of server rentals.

We have a few customers running Rust servers and we've also noticed the very large DDoS attacks that they are attracting -- larger, even, then we have typically seen with Garrysmod. This is troubling for us because Internap is having some internal problems right now that make the Internap network (and, by extension, us) less able to handle very large attacks. This means that we will likely have to also wait for Internap to fix its network before we can proceed.
megaman
New to forums
New to forums

Post by megaman »

I ordered a vds anyway and put a garrysmod server on it for now.
Will be waiting patiently for rust support :P
megaman
New to forums
New to forums

Post by megaman »

How is a Rust server as far as resources?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

megaman wrote:How is a Rust server as far as resources?
It's not terrible, but not as good as it should be. An empty server idling will use about 45%(normalized usage) of the CPU and around 800 megs of ram. A 30 slot server will us about 75% normalized usage) and around 1.1GB of ram.

All test so far have been on on a three core VDS running off of an E5-2690V2.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

Any intel on bandwidth or not yet?

I imagine it would consume half of that on a full machine? 1270V3 for example
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

FAST wrote:Any intel on bandwidth or not yet?

a full 30 slot server is going to use 1.2mbits/s
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote:

Hey Kraze,

I'm currently running a rust server through another GSP. We have 150 slots and routinely fill it. They only allocate us 1.1GB of RAM. Whenever it goes over 1.6GB it crashes and restarts. I've filed multiple tickets and they say that is enough ram for that many slots and blame rust and say the game has a memory leak. Is there any truth to this or are they overselling their hardware? How come other GSPs and the official servers can handle that many users or more for long periods of time and don't crash?

Also, is there any update on NFO coming to rust? I'd be first in line to sign up.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Triggs wrote:
kraze wrote:

Hey Kraze,

I'm currently running a rust server through another GSP. We have 150 slots and routinely fill it. They only allocate us 1.1GB of RAM. Whenever it goes over 1.6GB it crashes and restarts. I've filed multiple tickets and they say that is enough ram for that many slots and blame rust and say the game has a memory leak. Is there any truth to this or are they overselling their hardware? How come other GSPs and the official servers can handle that many users or more for long periods of time and don't crash?

Also, is there any update on NFO coming to rust? I'd be first in line to sign up.
I haven't seen any memory leaks. Server stays pretty consistent on memory usage. 0-20 slots is going to use 800-900 megs and 20-33 slot will use 900-1.1GB. I've left the server up for 4 days and didn't notice any increase in memory.

As far as I know Rust doesn't support assigning memory. It's possible they're using a script which checks memory and killing the server, but it's much more likely they're running your server on a VM. If that's the case you're likely losing a few hundred megs to the OS.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote: I haven't seen any memory leaks. Server stays pretty consistent on memory usage. 0-20 slots is going to use 800-900 megs and 20-33 slot will use 900-1.1GB. I've left the server up for 4 days and didn't notice any increase in memory.

As far as I know Rust doesn't support assigning memory. It's possible they're using a script which checks memory and killing the server, but it's much more likely they're running your server on a VM. If that's the case you're likely losing a few hundred megs to the OS.
It's great to hear this because I'm having a very very hard time convincing them to allocate us more memory or somehow resolve our memory concerns. It seems they either want us to wipe our server every 4-5 days or just deal with the crashes. Here are some of the responses I've gotten to my tickets. http://imgur.com/a/uoExL .. are they blowing smoke up my ass and are just overselling their hardware?

When can I get a rust NFO server? :D

Edit: Also, can you tell me the difference between a game server rental and putting a game server on a vps? Is a VPS just better performing/better for games that are demanding?
megaman
New to forums
New to forums

Post by megaman »

I upgraded mine to a four core because the sale might end and I like having extra.
I wanted maybe a 50 slot rust server.