Rust support?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
fustercluck
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Rust support?

Post by fustercluck »

megaman wrote:I upgraded mine to a four core because the sale might end and I like having extra.
I wanted maybe a 50 slot rust server.
Who is your provider?
megaman
New to forums
New to forums

Post by megaman »

fustercluck wrote:
megaman wrote:I upgraded mine to a four core because the sale might end and I like having extra.
I wanted maybe a 50 slot rust server.
Who is your provider?
Nfo I have a garrysmod and killing floor just waiting for Rust support.
I am doing the fully managed windows game server.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It's great to hear this because I'm having a very very hard time convincing them to allocate us more memory or somehow resolve our memory concerns. It seems they either want us to wipe our server every 4-5 days or just deal with the crashes. Here are some of the responses I've gotten to my tickets. http://imgur.com/a/uoExL .. are they blowing smoke up my ass and are just overselling their hardware?
There very well may be a memory leak, but from what I've seen I don't see one. So far my test server has been very consistent in memory usage.

They're correct, though, the way the game handles structures is very inefficient, with your server being over 100 players I imagine a lot of structures are being generated in a short time span. After 50K servers are expected to lag unbearably, I imagine this increases ram quite a bit. However, 1.6GB of ram seems low, considering mine which pushes 40 players is using 1.2-1.3.

They may be overloading their servers, but every company has different definitions of "overloading". Ours is very conservative, at 40% CPU usage with plenty of excess ram. However, if you look at their price point, it's around $0.35 cents per slot. That is extremely low for a game which uses a lot of CPU and ram. They're likely trying to keep the servers within a specific amount of usage to meet that price point, without needing to buy bigger machines or add additional ram.
When can I get a rust NFO server? :D
I don't know :( Garry isn't easy to contact, unfortunately. If anyone in our community can get his attention for us please do let him know we're interested in hosting Rust!
Edit: Also, can you tell me the difference between a game server rental and putting a game server on a vps? Is a VPS just better performing/better for games that are demanding?
VDS stands for virtual dedicated server. It allows for a customer to have dedicated resources for his server. This option is particularly good for customers who need special requirements for their games, such as a large amount of ram or CPU. This also allows for an overall lower price point in some situations. There comes a point where it is more efficient to purchase a $60 VDS, than a four separate servers.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote: There very well may be a memory leak, but from what I've seen I don't see one. So far my test server has been very consistent in memory usage.

They're correct, though, the way the game handles structures is very inefficient, with your server being over 100 players I imagine a lot of structures are being generated in a short time span. After 50K servers are expected to lag unbearably, I imagine this increases ram quite a bit. However, 1.6GB of ram seems low, considering mine which pushes 40 players is using 1.2-1.3.

They may be overloading their servers, but every company has different definitions of "overloading". Ours is very conservative, at 40% CPU usage with plenty of excess ram. However, if you look at their price point, it's around $0.35 cents per slot. That is extremely low for a game which uses a lot of CPU and ram. They're likely trying to keep the servers within a specific amount of usage to meet that price point, without needing to buy bigger machines or add additional ram.
Just curious, how much ram would you allocate for a rust server with 150 slots?
kraze wrote: I don't know :( Garry isn't easy to contact, unfortunately. If anyone in our community can get his attention for us please do let him know we're interested in hosting Rust!
I'll see what I can do!
kraze wrote: VDS stands for virtual dedicated server. It allows for a customer to have dedicated resources for his server. This option is particularly good for customers who need special requirements for their games, such as a large amount of ram or CPU. This also allows for an overall lower price point in some situations. There comes a point where it is more efficient to purchase a $60 VDS, than a four separate servers.
Awesome. The reason why I ask is I'm talking to a different provider about switching and they're working on getting me a VPS with 3-5 gigs of ram to handle our load. So, I was just curious how this differentiates from just a standard game server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It seems odd that the other company wouldn't include the RAM usage in its price point. I know that many GSPs put far too little memory in their machines, though -- I've heard some that say they're only using 8 GB on E3-1270 boxes, for instance! We use 16 GB at minimum, and most machines have at least 32 GB, so we rarely run into overall machine limits.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Just curious, how much ram would you allocate for a rust server with 150 slots?
We probably wouldn't allocate any. The only game we actually allocate memory to is Minecraft. Other then that we have a system which checks for servers using over 1GB of memory and reboots them. Games which are known to use over 1GB(NS2/Arma2/3) would have that check disabled. obviously, the more ram usage the higher the price, though.

Ram nowadays is pretty cheap, there really isn't any reason every machine shouldn't have an excessive amount. Our largest machines have 128GB in them. That doesn't mean we'll let servers eat up 5GB of ram, but you see the point.
Awesome. The reason why I ask is I'm talking to a different provider about switching and they're working on getting me a VPS with 3-5 gigs of ram to handle our load. So, I was just curious how this differentiates from just a standard game server.
Be very careful about that. Most companies don't sell VDS's like we do. A VPS is a virtual private server. These are normally put on heavily overloaded machines with burstable cores and ram. This is how they meet a price point of only a few dollars in some cases.

We actually talk a bit more on why dedicated HT cores and memory are good for performance in our KB section.
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =47&t=4940
http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =47&t=5099
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

Edge100x wrote:It seems odd that the other company wouldn't include the RAM usage in its price point. I know that many GSPs put far too little memory in their machines, though -- I've heard some that say they're only using 8 GB on E3-1270 boxes, for instance! We use 16 GB at minimum, and most machines have at least 32 GB, so we rarely run into overall machine limits.
It's good to hear that it's a GSP problem, not willing to put the extra money into quality.
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote: We probably wouldn't allocate any. The only game we actually allocate memory to is Minecraft. Other then that we have a system which checks for servers using over 1GB of memory and reboots them. Games which are known to use over 1GB(NS2/Arma2/3) would have that check disabled. obviously, the more ram usage the higher the price, though.

Ram nowadays is pretty cheap, there really isn't any reason every machine shouldn't have an excessive amount. Our largest machines have 128GB in them. That doesn't mean we'll let servers eat up 5GB of ram, but you see the point.
Would rust have that checked disabled as well? I guess I'm asking because I want to make sure I'm not crazy and my GSP is right and that I should just have to deal with these crashes until Garry fixes his code.
kraze wrote: Be very careful about that. Most companies don't sell VDS's like we do. A VPS is a virtual private server. These are normally put on heavily overloaded machines with burstable cores and ram. This is how they meet a price point of only a few dollars in some cases.
Well, I don't have much choice unfortunately since I either deal with the crashes or try out this VPS. What needs to be done for NFO to host rust servers? I work in the gaming industry so I may have some contacts to get in touch with Garry. Do you have a specific email you want him to contact you at or something?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Would rust have that checked disabled as well? I guess I'm asking because I want to make sure I'm not crazy and my GSP is right and that I should just have to deal with these crashes until Garry fixes his code.
It's extremely likely, yes. After you mentioned the memory issue above I dug a bit deeper. The server doesn't appear to have a leak, but it also seems to not unload unused memory. Meaning once a server peaks, it never goes back down, even if that server is empty. My server peaked at 39 slots today and now with only 10 people in it, it's still sitting at 1.1GB.
Well, I don't have much choice unfortunately since I either deal with the crashes or try out this VPS. What needs to be done for NFO to host rust servers? I work in the gaming industry so I may have some contacts to get in touch with Garry. Do you have a specific email you want him to contact you at or something?
Our standard support@nfoservers.com email would be fine.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote: It's extremely likely, yes. After you mentioned the memory issue above I dug a bit deeper. The server doesn't appear to have a leak, but it also seems to not unload unused memory. Meaning once a server peaks, it never goes back down, even if that server is empty. My server peaked at 39 slots today and now with only 10 people in it, it's still sitting at 1.1GB.
So even if I were to rent a server from another GSP (You or otherwise) I would run into this issue when I get past 1.6 GB?
Our standard support@nfoservers.com email would be fine.
Awesome, I'll see what I can do.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

So even if I were to rent a server from another GSP (You or otherwise) I would run into this issue when I get past 1.6 GB?
I wouldn't expect you to. I was just stating the server appears to be doing that. Which may be why they're killing servers and rebooting them.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote:
I wouldn't expect you to. I was just stating the server appears to be doing that. Which may be why they're killing servers and rebooting them.
Well thank you for all the answers. It's amazing I'm getting faster answers from you than the company I'm paying. Hopefully i'll be in touch with your support soon to get a server setup!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Just played Rust for hours on one of the few server hosts that rent out for this game. They were laggy and a friend of mine died because of the lag(you lose all items on your person when you die). They lagged terribly on and off for the entire time we were on their server. NFo, please, lets get some performance Rust servers out there so players know they don't HAVE to live with laggy servers!
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

From what I hear the current host are extremely bad :/ If anyone in our community is able to Tweet Garry please do let him know NFO is interested!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
Triggs
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Triggs »

kraze wrote:From what I hear the current host are extremely bad :/ If anyone in our community is able to Tweet Garry please do let him know NFO is interested!
Do you know if he doesn't know you're interested or he knows and he's just waiting? I've had some friends of mine reach out to him, not sure if he's responded to them yet.

Here is my latest response about lag on my current server.

TL;DR Memory leak, wipe your server, bad code, not us.

http://i.imgur.com/ZJtTys3.jpg