Rust support?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Cerious101
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: Rust support?

Post by Cerious101 »

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1 ... st44063785

Hmmm, whom could this be I wonder?

Keep up the good fight!

So now I bow my head and pray,
Please, please Gary do your creation justice for it's own future. Please guide your game to those that would do it justice with not just "specs" to run it, but an understanding that the "spec" of today will not necessarily handle the server of tomorrow. This is an ALPHA game, not only will the game change, the server "specs" needed to run a well performing system will also. One's that would not just throw the bare minimum at it in the name of profit.
Rewards should be for those that do right by their customers in balancing the performance vs cost/profit.

So Be it.

Cerious

:lol:
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

To be fair to the guy that I won't name here, he is generally correct. Rust usage doesn't scale the way you'd think it would with players. A server with 30 players is going to roughly use the same amount as a server with 50 players. CPU doesn't appear to be a big issue here, I've noticed my test server which has peaked at 100 players not even use a full core, but it has used almost 2GB of ram.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Great to know. Our problem on our managed dedis is all of this free RAM...

Currently 27GB free on linux and 6GB free on windows(windows could me much, much lower though. test servers ftw).
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We do like to put a lot of memory in our machines. It's relatively inexpensive, so I don't know why all other GSPs don't do it -- knowing that some games (current games) also need a lot, and any extra memory is put to work as disk cache.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

It also makes NFO dedis a great value. Most other "customize your server" hosts will charge you stupid amounts MONTHLY for a few GB of ram. I have specced out our NFO machine at other "budget" hosts, after UPGRADING to gigabit port, and adding the right drive/ram, NFO actually comes out cheaper, with Internap bandwidth.
Not a NFO employee
markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by markym »

Would love you guys to host Rust -- the provider I'm with HFB is awful and overcharging with horrible service. Gameservers just got Rust servers for a very reasonable price and though I dislike them my current provider is worse so I'm making the switch to GS today. I'm with HFB Servers now and don't recommend doing business with them at all. They take days to get back to you -- my server was down for a full day with no apology and no urgency to do anything about it and no reply to my support tickets. I was in their San Jose center which was awful then made them move me to Seattle which has been more of the same.

Hoping NFO can work out a deal with Rust and I'll gladly switch as you guys rock!
FAST
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FAST »

We are also with HFB, have 2 servers with them. Terrible support. Took 24 hours to respond. Simply, there aren't any good providers for this game. I am fairly certain NFO is trying just one individual not cooperating and not opening his eyes, yet.
markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by markym »

So let me give you an update on Gameservers -- omg how they are in business I do not know. Their order page says ...Simple RUST Server Management ..Our custom control panel allows you to configure and customize your RUST server, upload files using FTP, install plugins and mods, switch locations, and add additional administrators.

And it says instant setup -- I ordered a Rust server, waited 5 hours for it to install, FTP'd all my files up and the server won't work at all. I fresh install the server with a wipe and it still won't come up. So I put in a support ticket to find out why and guess what -- they don't have any mods for Rust yet -- they don't have approval to run Oxide which manages my whole server and plugins in fact they don't yet have one mod listing under mods once you see your Control Panel. Pretty much vanilla servers with Rcon at best. Yet again Gameservers fails! And, I so not surprised. Now I'm waiting to find out how I'm supposed to port over my server with no mods and to tell them I want my money back for misleading advertising on their site. Why did I think they would be any different than they were years ago when I had a nightmare with them over COD.

I'm going to post up on the Rust direct site that they need to get with it and allow NFO to rent servers for Rust. NFO is the only provider I know that provides top notch customer support.
markym
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by markym »

Well ...I did my post to Facepunch Studios asking them to please let NFO rent Rust servers out ....don't know if it will help but gave it my best shot

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1371580
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

markym wrote:Well ...I did my post to Facepunch Studios asking them to please let NFO rent Rust servers out ....don't know if it will help but gave it my best shot

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1371580
Posted there myself, hope that thread gets some attention.
Not a NFO employee
snivell
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by snivell »

I just got rust, so now I see what all the fuss is about. Fun game! :)
Cerious101
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Cerious101 »

With the recent lack of updates, broken plug-ins that the Oxide team can't quite sort out we've all but stop playing the game. It's gotten boring and way to frustrating.

I've read all kinds of sob stories at facepunch about sick employees, Gary's kids, the GDC this week. Soon we'll start hearing about broken down cars and baby sitters not showing up. I can't think of ANY professional organization that operates that way, sounds more like a good buddy doing me a favor then men doing a job. Not professional what so ever.
I don't care what he's done in the past, I can tell you what he's not doing now, running a solid Development team.

So I wouldn't get in to much a hurry for this game, it's looking like it's going to be DOA before it arrives.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

With the pay-for-beta, get-the-full-version-later model that many developers use now, there's a lack of incentive to finish the game quickly -- or even finish the game at all. I'm not a very big fan of it.
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

we also ditched our rust server,with the oxide updates constant and cant keep up,its destroying our game.

I`d rather spend my money on NFO to upgrade my VDS than spend money on some crappy host to run a separate game-server.
joshh20
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by joshh20 »

I agree, I have also cancelled my Rust server, it is just a mess right now, and Garry doesn't seem to care enough to do anything.