Curious question about DNS uses

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
.=QUACK=.Major.Pain
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Curious question about DNS uses

Post by .=QUACK=.Major.Pain »

I was wondering about a site that offers the ability for people to pay a fee, and get access to Netflicks, Hulu, etc from countries were there are restrictions.

For example, here in Canada, we get no Hulu access, and poor options on Netflicks. I pay for this service, and I can change my perceived location to the US or several European locations, and then I get access to more and better movies.

This service requires you to pay a small fee, using WHMCS and within secs, you have your account activated. You then have to change your DNS1 and DNS2 to the ips they provide. On there site, you just choose your country for access, and your up and running in secs.

Some of you may know the site I am referring to, but I won't link it since it's not allowed.

I am wondering on how they do this, and could I not do this on my own VDS servers for myself and avoid paying someone else?
Visit gspreviews.com And Rate & Review Your Old & Current GSP's
Find Your GSP Coupons at gspreviews.com/coupons/
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Re: Curious question about DNS uses

Post by Bubka3 »

You could setup a VPN on your VDS, connect to it, and your IP would be of your VDS.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Curious question about DNS uses

Post by Edge100x »

Pain, some places have a system of proxies for this. The DNS servers likely reply with different IP addresses than the real ones, that funnel you through their proxies.

Many people also use their own private VPN to achieve the same goal, and for other reasons, such as increasing the speed of downloads when the ISP is restricting them, and for privacy reasons.