Just a question about the server prices

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Pineapples
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Just a question about the server prices

Post by Pineapples »

I went to these Seattle servers and found out they had really low ping servers, well lately they have higher ping than it used to be, and I don't know why. Anywho, I clicked on the Price/Order link and added up the prices to 161.26. Is that the final price or is there an extra fee to it? like connection fee and such?
Pineapples
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

With us, there are no additional fees such as setup fees or connection fees or cancellation fees or server rebuild fees. We're not big on fees here ;)

I'd be willing to investigate why your ping might be higher recently. If you feel up to it, email me at edge100x@nuclearfallout.net with a traceroute from you to the server machine :)
Pineapples
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Pineapples »

I used to played at MiD server cuz they have a pretty low ping, used to get about 20-30s, which was very nice, i like it alot. now its about 20 ping higher, i dunno y. and i use covad dsl, it changes IP everytime i restart it =|

so what kind of connection does nuclearfallout use? i mean 160 bucks for a 20 people rent server is like the lowest i can find. and if theres no other fees, i know i m gonna rent one too as soon as i have money.
Pineapples
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

http://rentals.nuclearfallout.net/rent. ... nt=howfast describes our connections. But keep in mind that width of the pipe is not so important as the latencies ;)
Pineapples
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Pineapples »

Thanks. I notice I am getting a lot of choke in Counter strike, is there anyway I can keep the choke zero and low ping, do you know?

Also, I notice the rentals are based on monthly. Is there anyway I can get a lower price by signing a contact and such?
Pineapples
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Choke is caused by rate mismatches between the client and the server, or a connection that cannot handle the desired rates. It can be lessened by changing variables such as sv_maxrate and sv_maxupdaterate on the server and the corresponding client variables rate and cl_updaterate on the client, as well as cl_cmdrate. I recommend using a rate of around 8000 and cl_updaterate/cl_cmdrate of 40 or 50, if your connection can handle it. With large servers or complicated gameplay, a higher rate can give less choke; a higher cl_updaterate will give smoother gameplay and a more consistent (though slightly higher) ping.

We don't currently offer discounts for multi-month rentals, although we are considering it for the future.