Control panel suggestions

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
StonedPenguin
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Control panel suggestions

Post by StonedPenguin »

After using the NFO control panel for about a year and a half now some things have come to bother and become issues to myself and others so I thought I might post them in hopes it will be useful for things to be improved. These mostly pertain to source based servers.

- The server consoles scroll back down every time and entry is added making reading console output nearly impossible on anything but extremely low traffic servers
- 16 tick option needs to be added as it's more standard then 22 or 11
- Github sync, I have 7 servers which all run one or more addon that I have hosted on github and being that there is already SVN sync this seems like a no brainer
- Un-throttled FTP or more realistically throttled FTP, uploading and downloading files is unbearably slow
- FTP sub users is a must for any larger community with more then a few people who have some sort of access
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Control panel suggestions

Post by kraze »

- The server consoles scroll back down every time and entry is added making reading console output nearly impossible on anything but extremely low traffic servers
That is pretty common and expected as the output is continually updating. That's why the pause button is there though, using that will stop this from occurring.
- Un-throttled FTP or more realistically throttled FTP, uploading and downloading files is unbearably slow
FTP isn't throttled for game servers. If you are seeing slow speeds you should contact us via the "help" tab in your control panel so we can take a look with you.
- FTP sub users is a must for any larger community with more then a few people who have some sort of access
This is something that's been a suggested many many times and it's very likely coming, but there is no ETA on it.
- 16 tick option needs to be added as it's more standard then 22 or 11
- Github sync, I have 7 servers which all run one or more addon that I have hosted on github and being that there is already SVN sync this seems like a no brainer
The tickrate option seems pretty reasonable and is very easy to add. As for the Github sync. That would be a slightly bigger change and would require some additional research on our end to see if this is feasible and wanted by more customers.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I've made the tickrate addition -- just hadn't seen that request before.

When it comes to github, thankfully they fully support SVN across their network. If you just use the SVN link that they give, you'll be golden.

We'll be switching to a different FTP server in the future that does not have throttling. Sub-users will still not be possible, unfortunately, due to the way that the FTP system ties into the OS.
TheLastPenguin
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by TheLastPenguin »

I would like to second aStonedPenguin's request for FTP subusers.

This is probably the biggest thing NFO is missing that almost every other control panel offers.

It is severely limiting in terms of the ability to higher secondary developers for servers since you have to trust them with full FTP access to all of your files gamemodes and addons. Being able to limit a user to just the addons folder or just the gamemodes folder or even a specific gamemode or addon would be extremely useful.

Could you please explain the details of why it is "impossible" to add FTP subusers because of how it ties into the OS? As far as I'm aware it's possible to have users with overlapping home directories on Linux, I'm not sure about windows, so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible especially if other control panels have figured out how to do it?

I also know that there are software implementations of the FTP protocol that can and are effectively used to implement more effective access control for FTP users.

I really doubt that it's impossible, it probably just takes more work than a quick fix.
StonedPenguin
New to forums
New to forums

Post by StonedPenguin »

Edge100x wrote:When it comes to github, thankfully they fully support SVN across their network. If you just use the SVN link that they give, you'll be golden.
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware that doesn't do any good for a private repo.
Edge100x wrote: We'll be switching to a different FTP server in the future that does not have throttling.
That's definitely helpful any ETA on this?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Edge100x wrote: We'll be switching to a different FTP server in the future that does not have throttling.
StonedPenguin wrote:That's definitely helpful any ETA on this?
To clarify on this point. Our game server FTPs are not throttled. I spoke to John about this and he mentioned he was thinking back to a much older system. If you are seeing slow speeds please do contact us back so we can investigate.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

FTP speeds are not covered by the performance guarantee. I have had FTP speed issues for months with 2 of my dedis and have done as much as I can on my end, but the issue persists. Contacting support didn't help.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

soja wrote:FTP speeds are not covered by the performance guarantee. I have had FTP speed issues for months with 2 of my dedis and have done as much as I can on my end, but the issue persists. Contacting support didn't help.
It doesn't necessarily need to be covered for us to take a look and find a problem. FTP speeds can be effected by many things, but it never hurts to contact us and have a concern escalated. Your specific situation Soja could also be different from others.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

It was escalated and discussed for over a week. The specific issue is FTP speeds on our E3-1271v3 machines will not pass 10Mb/s for any single connection. Tested with numerous remote servers and home internet connections, and the result is always the same.

Testing on LAN(to another NFO server in the same DC) also shows about a 40% performance loss in FTP speeds vs our other machines.

I kind of gave up when I was told John doesn't have time to look into it. We have just been dealing with the terrible speeds on a daily basis.
Not a NFO employee
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

StonedPenguin wrote:
Edge100x wrote:When it comes to github, thankfully they fully support SVN across their network. If you just use the SVN link that they give, you'll be golden.
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware that doesn't do any good for a private repo.
You should be able to access even private repos over SVN @ GitHub.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Private repos should work fine, yes.
Abdul
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Abdul »

It would be nice to give certain users access to the "Panel access" tab so they help manage users.