How would ARIN IPv4 depletion affect us, the clients?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How would ARIN IPv4 depletion affect us, the clients?

Post by Bubka3 »

So, with ARIN's IPv4 space running out soon enough, I'm curious what this means for all us of on a managed system?

Since each server gets it's own IP, will there be enough to go around?

Source: https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ ... tdown.html
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: How would ARIN IPv4 depletion affect us, the clients?

Post by Edge100x »

We will likely be needing to transition to multiple servers per IP address within the next couple of years. This will start with managed game servers on machines and VDSes and then move on to standalone game servers.

Not giving each server its own IP removes our ability to properly load-balance between machines, and would make it so that customers would lose their IP address in moving to/from the standalone system, so we hope that games will start supporting IPv6 soon.
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by theRadAleks »

Cant they just generate more? I don't understand how this works.
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

There's only so many possible IPv4 addresses, 4.3 billion, to be approximate. Once they are gone, they are gone, unless someone controlling some releases them back.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

theRadAleks wrote:Cant they just generate more? I don't understand how this works.
No, they can't generate more. Here is some information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion
Not a NFO employee
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

Just curious, how would I properly do port-based hosting, and how many servers could go on a single IP within reason.

I've had a managed box for a while, and eventually I'd like to go unmanaged. The cost of IPs (right now I'd only know how to do one per servers) is one reason I didn't yet. Another reason is NFo saves space with all it's fancy hard linking game files. Wouldn't know how to do that.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Bubka3 wrote:Just curious, how would I properly do port-based hosting, and how many servers could go on a single IP within reason.

I've had a managed box for a while, and eventually I'd like to go unmanaged. The cost of IPs (right now I'd only know how to do one per servers) is one reason I didn't yet. Another reason is NFo saves space with all it's fancy hard linking game files. Wouldn't know how to do that.
When setting up the server you would just need to define a different port on the command line. There really is not a limit on the amount of servers you could put on an IP. In theory you should be able to use an entire protocols port range.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Bubka3
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by Bubka3 »

I mean yea, in theory, I could run servers on one IP but that's probably not best practice.

I was more asking what you guys would recommend (and eventually plan to do) so I can setup in similar fashion.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I'm not sure what you mean. We would just change the port number for each server we wanted to run on the same IP.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

kraze wrote:I'm not sure what you mean. We would just change the port number for each server we wanted to run on the same IP.
If possible, preferably you could run different games on 1 IP, so each server can still have its default port. It isn't as aggressive of an IP-saver as running a bunch of servers on 1 IP, but remembering the port number for game servers seems to confuse casual players.
Not a NFO employee
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

soja wrote:If possible, preferably you could run different games on 1 IP, so each server can still have its default port. It isn't as aggressive of an IP-saver as running a bunch of servers on 1 IP, but remembering the port number for game servers seems to confuse casual players.
It'd be nicer if more of the server software supported SRV records. At least from an end-user POV. Then again, most of the games just have a master list and eliminate the need of needing to remember ip/port combos.