DIY Email Server vs NFO

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
mennes
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

DIY Email Server vs NFO

Post by mennes »

Hello, so I have been thinking about having emails for my community to look more professional. I was wondering, what is the pros for doing it through you guys? I am really tight on cash all the time, so if i could save a few bucks it would help. Not trying to take buisness from you guys, i am just trying to save money and put a server i have to use.

I know having a static ip and the network you guys have is super nice, but its just an email server so does all that stuff really matter?
Feel free to contact me on discordd @ Mennes34
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: DIY Email Server vs NFO

Post by soja »

If you have never set up an email server, save yourself the hassle and do it through NFO. It is a huge pain to set up.
Not a NFO employee
mennes
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by mennes »

I will take your word on that :D
Feel free to contact me on discordd @ Mennes34
hiimcody1
Staff
Staff

Post by hiimcody1 »

I definitely agree with Soja here, we've see far too many abuse complaints in regards to misconfigured mail servers (it's very easy to leave it in a state that allows it to be harnessed for spam). Unless you absolutely have to, I'd just stick with ours.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Mail servers take a solid amount of work for the initial setup and optimization (including installing and configuring add-ons such as Spamassassin, and building IP reputation so that emails aren't blocked out of the gate by third parties). It's doable, but not a pain that I recommend, since it's easy to find good hosted solutions, such as us or Google.