[IMPORTANT] - NFO "Hacker" has attempted logins

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
gafoob
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

[IMPORTANT] - NFO "Hacker" has attempted logins

Post by gafoob »

As of this morning, I was notified via email that someone tried to log in to a couple of my various accounts.
I was given about 4 different emails of accounts that the person had tried to log in to. LogMeIn,
Facebook, Steam, and of course, my G-Mail which i never use anyway. I believe this might be the doing
of the person or people who had tried to mess with NFO's security. My reason for believing this is due to
the fact that all of these places shared the exact same password as my NFO account did, 2 of which I forgot
to change in the process of being first emailed about this issue. I would like those around here to be aware
that there is a possibility that the same person or people might be trying to gain access your account information.
Change your passwords and if need be, your credit card. I am going to take that step myself with my bank
just in case there is a website that I have CC information saved on. (Hopefuly I dont have any websites saving
my CC on file, but I tend to forget with all the accounts I make)

Sorry if my grammar is not that great, I just wanted to poop out this information as soon as I could :)
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: [IMPORTANT] - NFO "Hacker" has attempted logins

Post by kraze »

Control panel passwords were kept in a one way one-way salted hash, so the attacker doesn't have the password themselves, but he or she would be able to locally brute-force simple ones. Was the password you were using simple? It's also important to note that no credit card information was accessed here as it is stored in an entirely different way and exceeds PCI requirements for storing this type of information.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: [IMPORTANT] - NFO "Hacker" has attempted logins

Post by Edge100x »

kraze, I think he's concerned about stored password information at another company being used for purchases there if the attacker is able to log in. Which would be a valid concern, though the attacker won't also know the 3- or 4-digit CVV2 code for a card in someone else's system (since it is not allowed to be stored), so it should not be usable for shipments. Also, credit cards have full fraud protection, so it's not necessary to preemptively get a new card; just double-checking the credit card statement occasionally would be enough.