Multiple VPS' vs Single Dedicated

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
pro4never
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Multiple VPS' vs Single Dedicated

Post by pro4never »

So I feel this question is a bit silly of me but I'm just trying to look at my further expansion and see at what point dedicated servers may be the way to go in my situation.

Currently I have 3 VPS servers (hosted in chicago, atlanta and germany) with NFO and am very, very happy with them. Over the next 6 months I plan to expand to around 5 servers total. My first assumption is that each instance of my server software is not incredibly demanding that a dedicated server wont benefit me much but I wanted to get some second opinions in case I was missing something critical.

For what I'm hosting I tend to average around 2 gig/ram and ~5-10% cpu usage on my current 6 core VPS packages per server instance. I'm working on re-writing pretty much all of my server code to make it more efficient and salable so that may even be an overstatement by the time I'm finished with the re-structuring.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Multiple VPS' vs Single Dedicated

Post by soja »

The largest benefit of a dedi over a VDS is single threaded performance. If each of your server instances don't use a full thread, sticking with VDS will be the best option.
Not a NFO employee
pro4never
New to forums
New to forums

Re: Multiple VPS' vs Single Dedicated

Post by pro4never »

soja wrote:The largest benefit of a dedi over a VDS is single threaded performance. If each of your server instances don't use a full thread, sticking with VDS will be the best option.

I assumed that'd be the case but just wanted to get second opinions so I wasn't screwing myself out of even better hosting options :D