Operating system instead of Windows Server 2008 R2

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Operating system instead of Windows Server 2008 R2

Post by ViRuSeS »

Hello,
I asked for support before two days about which Operating System do you recommend Windows Server 2008 R2 to run CS:GO & TeamSpeak3 servers.
As i said that i use OpenGamePanel, first i though it's for windows like linux but i discovered that it's for linux and it's using cygwin to run on windows.
So what should i do now? Do you suggest any better game panel for windows/linux? Also if you will suggest me to go back to linux, I was using Centos6, but which one would you recommend from linux systems? Thanks in advanced.
NOTE: i'm having problem with OGP + Cygwin even after fresh install look it's leaking my memory: http://i.imgur.com/YyUNhRC.png
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Re: Operating system instead of Windows Server 2008 R2

Post by ViRuSeS »

Please fast help.
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

I'm sorry for bumping but it's important case.
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

I knew i'll never find help in forums 33 views and no comments..
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Spray »

Typically, you want to use OS software you're comfortable with that offers the best performance or compatibility for software you're running. CS:GO and TeamSpeak 3 both run very well on Linux or Windows. Do you need game panel software for these servers? Have you considered using a batch script or something like Firedaemon to manage the servers?

Windows Server 2008 R2 is a very stable OS, it's what we use for our managed Windows hosting. If the problem with memory leaks is coming from the game panel, you'll probably want to explore software alternatives rather than changing the entire OS.
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

Spray wrote:Typically, you want to use OS software you're comfortable with that offers the best performance or compatibility for software you're running. CS:GO and TeamSpeak 3 both run very well on Linux or Windows. Do you need game panel software for these servers? Have you considered using a batch script or something like Firedaemon to manage the servers?

Windows Server 2008 R2 is a very stable OS, it's what we use for our managed Windows hosting. If the problem with memory leaks is coming from the game panel, you'll probably want to explore software alternatives rather than changing the entire OS.
First thanks for answer!
Yes i like OGP! But also i like Windows Server 2008 R2 so which OS should i use it on? Which one do you use on managed linux server?
I want help from you because i'm using your servers, and i believe that you know about operating systems and servers things more than any other people.
Is there better game panel for windows or linux? better than OpenGamePanel.org?
I asked on steam forums about Which Operating System (OS) Does Valve use to host their official CS:GO servers? http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=3301565
They didn't give me clear answer so i still don't know what to do i really need help maybe a better panel, maybe better linux than centos6 to host my servers and panel on it
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Spray »

We currently use Gentoo for our managed Linux installs. I don't generally recommend it unless you're very familiar with Linux based systems. Ubuntu or Debian are typically the easiest to manage Linux distributions, I'd perhaps try Ubuntu to see how well it works for you, if you're set on using a control panel native to Linux.
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

Spray wrote:We currently use Gentoo for our managed Linux installs. I don't generally recommend it unless you're very familiar with Linux based systems. Ubuntu or Debian are typically the easiest to manage Linux distributions, I'd perhaps try Ubuntu to see how well it works for you, if you're set on using a control panel native to Linux.
As i saw on sourcemod forums they said they Gentoo will give the best perfomance for linux and you are using it too, So it's the best, I can learn the basics about it liked i learned Centos, so if it's really the best OS to use to host CS:GO TeamSpeak3 and gamepanel then i'll use it, also i was thinking to buy webhost from nfo and is saw that it's on Gentoo OS so i'll use it anyway if linux will be my choice, I'm really confused! On steam forums they said valve uses: Ubuntu, MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 96 ... So i don't know what to do, on opengamepanel formus i'm not getting help there too :S
Is there better panel than OpenGamePanel to use it on Gentoo or Windows Server 2008 R2? What do you recommened me to do/use. Thanks a lot I really appreciate your help!
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Spray »

Personally, I'd only use a control panel if you really need it. Managing the server with batch or shell scripts or running the servers as services using a program like Firedaemon in Windows is all that's needed for the most part. I don't have any personal recommendations available for control panels, however.
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

Spray wrote:Personally, I'd only use a control panel if you really need it. Managing the server with batch or shell scripts or running the servers as services using a program like Firedaemon in Windows is all that's needed for the most part. I don't have any personal recommendations available for control panels, however.
Yes i agree, but the panel is needed for my friend and my team :(
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

Bump
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

There are a lot of panels out there, with TCADMIN being the biggest. A quick search reveals BGPanel and Game Control Panel.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

Thank you but they are not for Free nor Windows. If i'll use Linux i'll go with OpenGamePanel because it's free and full of features that i need! But on windows i'm unable to find good free game panel, so i may go back to linux, Ubuntu or Gentoo not sure yet
ViRuSeS
A regular
A regular

Post by ViRuSeS »

I'll use OpenGamePanel with linux (Ubuntu) then.
You provide 3 versions of Ubuntu: Ubuntu 12.04-LTS or Ubuntu 14.04-LTS or Ubuntu 15.04. Which one should i use to run OpenGamePanel to run CS:GO and teamspeak3 servers with best performance and no problems?
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Spray »

Performance wise, each should be similar. I'd recommend the 14.04 LTS release, as it will be actively supported for quite some time.