Multi-core rendering, what it is, can I enable it on a managed VDS?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Virtus
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Multi-core rendering, what it is, can I enable it on a managed VDS?

Post by Virtus »

Hey NFO, I was wondering what the definition standard of Multi-core rendering was in Source engine / gmod, as I thought source engine only ran on single-cores?
  • Would I be able to run "multi-core rendering" on my managed VDS for the benefit of FPS gain?
  • Will this take away server stability if possible?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Multi-core rendering, what it is, can I enable it on a managed VDS?

Post by kraze »

Are you referring to the client side option for multi-core rendering? If so, that wouldn't have any effect on the server and would be strictly for the client.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Virtus
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Virtus »

kraze wrote:Are you referring to the client side option for multi-core rendering? If so, that wouldn't have any effect on the server and would be strictly for the client.
I know their is a client side to do this, but I heard (not from a credible source) that you could enable multi core rendering server side, giving a 40% boost in general FPS, or maybe they are just forcing multicore rendering to apply client side when they load in?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Rendering is the process by which the graphical output of the world is created. It wouldn't apply to servers unless someone is using a nonstandard definition of the term.

Garrysmod itself only very lightly multi-threaded, as are most game servers, because so many tasks must be serialized (those that use more threads typically use them for AI operations and miscellaneous, small parallelizable tasks such as pushing buffered output to clients).