I know it's been asked for before, but seriously: Coffer API. We need it.

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
StrikerTheHedgefox
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

I know it's been asked for before, but seriously: Coffer API. We need it.

Post by StrikerTheHedgefox »

For years, it's been said that an API to retrieve the amount of money in your coffer was in the cards, and it's been discussed repeatedly from posts as far back as 2010... But nothing ever comes of it.

I run a site, an IRC server, and several game servers from my VDS, and I'm entirely dependent on donations to keep it running, since I live in a small town where there's one job to one thousand people, so employment is scarce, and money even more so.

I used to use a separate PayPal account, and asked people to donate there so I can use the PayPal API to display the donation progress on my site. However, recently PayPal changed their terms of service, and blocked off all PayPal API access from those who aren't running business or enterprise accounts.

So, now... I'm stuck. I don't run my own business currently, and PayPal refuses to help. I had to gut the PayPal API stuff from my site, since it would refuse to load (thanks to them revoking all non-business API keys)

I'm hoping someone in the NFOServers staff can take a bit, just to offer a simple means of retrieving our coffer amount.

It doesn't have to be complicated, it can just be an URL that takes an API Key, a UserID, and returns the value as JSON.

Something like this:

Code: Select all

$api_url = http://api.nfoservers.com/GetCoffer/?key=<api key>&userid=<some unique user id number (or email addr)>
$json = json_decode(file_get_contents($api_url), true);

$coffer_amount = $json["response"]["coffer"][0]["amount"];
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: I know it's been asked for before, but seriously: Coffer API. We need it.

Post by Edge100x »

This hasn't been forgotten. As you said, it's been on the implementation list for a long, time.

Unfortunately, it is a bit complicated, as much as we don't want it to be, because of the security implications (creating a secure API requires the ability to generate and quickly revoke customer-specific keys, and to restrict how they can be used, at minimum). And there are some other security changes that I really need to make first, because building tools on the old security module would just create pain.
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

Are you looking into REST?
StrikerTheHedgefox
New to forums
New to forums

Well, whenever something like this begins development, I'd gladly give it a test.
stickz

Post by stickz »

Not giving everyone the email to the owner's NFO account would be a great security change.
StrikerTheHedgefox
New to forums
New to forums

And another two years pass, with nothing. After waiting multiple years before.

If it weren't such a pain to migrate everything, I would have switched to another provider at this point.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We don't need more bumps for this thread. This is still on the "to do" list, though as I explained in another post, there are arguments against doing it that revolve around cost, in addition to the security concerns and the simple mountain of other more important work that should be done first.