Upgrades to Dallas

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
theRadAleks
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Upgrades to Dallas

Post by theRadAleks »

Iv noticed NFO has accelerated it's network upgrades in Chicago and other locations, but what about Dallas? Especially recently iv seen alot more attacks in my events tab in the Dallas location where my TeamSpeak server is located, so i was just wondering if you guys had any plans for Dallas.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Upgrades to Dallas

Post by Edge100x »

Currently we need to wait for Internap to upgrade in Dallas before we can consider upgrades there. But, we also haven't been seeing many attacks in Dallas that have saturated our upstream connections, so there isn't a clear need for upgrades.

If you see a "(D)DoS attack against your service" entry in the Events log of the control panel, that means that our system filtered an attack for you that did not exceed our upstream capacity.
stickz

Post by stickz »

You shouldn't host a teamspeak server in Dallas. Not all NFO locations are created equally. The reason for this is very complicated. Long story short Dallas won't produce the best possible result you're looking for; whether the event be an attack or a general nuisance/disturbance. And it will perform worse on average than Chicago. The best analogy I can give is to spread your eggs out the best you can through-our multiple baskets. Also modeled by a pie chart like the IPV4 peers on Equinox peering in Chicago. You don't have to invest a lot of time into networking, to know that thinner slices of pie and higher bandwidth is better.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Our services in Dallas use some of the best bandwidth available there. Dallas is a peering point for every "tier 1" transit provider. We have not seen scenic routing problems for customers at that location, nor have we seen packet loss, nor have we seen complaints of limited performance. It is inaccurate to say that it performs worse than Chicago on average.

The primary factors that you should consider when choosing a location are the distance that the location is from the bulk of your player base, and whether you need the very highest level of DDoS mitigation. If you need the very highest level of DDoS mitigation, or you're not sure what location to choose, or your players are spread across the US and Canada, consider Chicago first. Otherwise, go with whatever location is closest to your player base. Dallas would be an excellent location if the player base is in the southern US or Mexico, for instance.

The number of participants in the Equinix peering fabric does not correspond well with our bandwidth quality or Internap's bandwidth quality. Bandwidth quality is better defined as the overall performance to clients as measured by realized latency, jitter, and packet loss. It's important to keep in mind that even when peering is available, sometimes a transit provider presents a better path to clients of that ISP than peering connections might, and all ISPs have at least one transit provider. The top ISPs that cover the bulk of clients, such as Comcast, Cox, TWC, Frontier, and AT&T/SBC have significant private peering and transit connections in all of the cities that we use.