Server usage in Control panel

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
mrQ
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server usage in Control panel

Post by mrQ »

Hello!

I'd like to propose one very small feature for NFO Control Panel that could be very useful. Can you add the Bandwidth usage for last 30 seconds not only in graph, but also as a number?

Here is why I need it and why do I think it can be very useful:

From time to time I'm facing with (D)DoS attacks. I succeed to filter about 60% of them with your firewall tab. I'd like to thank you for this awesome feature!

The only thing I need to filter them all is to determine that the server is under attack.
I wrote a simple script that calculates the amount of packets that were transferred for each 10 seconds and if its number is too high, then the servers are under attack and it sends the "Panic" message.
In 60% server succeed to send the "Panic" message, but in other 40% the attacks are so high that this message doesn't pass. Even blocking traffic with iptables on the server doesn't help in this case.
That's why I need to get the current bandwidth amount from somewhere outside of the server.

You have a Bandwidth Graph in your Control panel - "Server usage" tab. It shows Bandwidth for every 30 seconds. Unfortunately, it is only an image so I can't read this data with my script.

Is it possible to place a "Current Bandwidth" amount as a number on the Server Usage page? That would really help me a lot.
Or is there another option of how can I get this data from the outside of the server?

Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Server usage in Control panel

Post by Edge100x »

That would be a bit complicated. Have you also considered having your external monitor check for responsiveness from the service directly? If it sees a majority of responses not coming back, then it could alert you.
mrQ
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mrQ »

Edge100x wrote:That would be a bit complicated. Have you also considered having your external monitor check for responsiveness from the service directly? If it sees a majority of responses not coming back, then it could alert you.
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I thought about it. The main problem in this case is that it will sent alerts when the script doesn't get any response from the server. And that could be not only because of (D)DoS, but also because of server reboot, network issues and maintenance on the server.

Just for my interest, can you tell me why is it complicated? This data is shown in Bandwidth graph, so there is no need to calculate it.
mrQ
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mrQ »

I also think about using "GB usage this month: ..." on Status page. There are many problems in this case:
1. The usage amount accuracy is only 0.01 GB. I'm not sure, but it may be not enough to catch the attack.
2. I don't know how often does it refresh.
3. It can alert when I upload a big file or something else.

It is also possible to use "Capture traffic from/to your VDS" button every 30 seconds and truncate the result. I don't think that this is a good choice either.

That is why I think that using Bandwidth amount for last 30 seconds not only on graph is the best choice IMO.
mrQ
New to forums
New to forums

Post by mrQ »

Edge100x, can I have your final comment on this topic? At least I need to know if it is possible or not and are you going to add such feature.

I just need any final answer to stop checking this topic every day with a hope for a new post.

Or maybe you got any other solutions for this issue that I don't see.

Thanks!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It has been added to my "to do" list but it is unlikely that I will have time for it in the near future.
stickz

Post by stickz »

Edge's to-do-list is a list of things that never get's done, just so you know. :lol: It's been six months and he still hasn't gotten to very similar things I've suggested like measuring CPU usage by threads instead of as a whole. :( So don't get your hopes up, that bandwidth setting will ever get changed. If you really bother him about it, he'll tell you switch to un-managed and spend more time managing the operating system than the actual game-server. This stuff is just sweet-talk.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

stickz wrote:Edge's to-do-list is a list of things that never get's done, just so you know. :lol: It's been six months and he still hasn't gotten to very similar things I've suggested like measuring CPU usage by threads instead of as a whole. :( So don't get your hopes up, that bandwidth setting will ever get changed. If you really bother him about it, he'll tell you switch to un-managed and spend more time managing the operating system than the actual game-server. This stuff is just sweet-talk.
Stickz, this is not a constructive for these forums. We ask that you keep your post constructive in nature. Please consider this a warning. Any future non-constructive post may result in a cool down period from these forums.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I'm constantly doing things from the "to do" list. You need to keep in mind that it is a prioritized list and this specific feature request has a relatively low priority.