Email hosting

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
ebar87
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Email hosting

Post by ebar87 »

Any chance you guys are looking into some sort of limited email hosting?

I've been looking around for email hosting for my business, and some of these people like google and fastmail are just ridiculous, with $5/user.

I have a couple VPSs through you guys, but I really have no clue how to setup a proper Dovecot or Postfix server.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Email hosting

Post by Edge100x »

That's crazy that it would cost $5 per user!

We offer email hosting as part of all of our webserver packages. It does not have an extra cost, such as a cost per user. But, the domain needs to be registered in the system for it to work right.
ebar87
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ebar87 »

Bummer, I'd rather not transfer my domains.

So let me amend my question then, any chance in the future I can point my MX records to you guys to host my email? Or how about an amazing tutorial by you guys for setting up a simple low volume mail server on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS??? Not gonna lie, most things I've found online for that are crap.

And yeah, I mean Google charges that much because its access to their entire G Suite app. Makes sense, but G Suite is far beyond what I need.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We wouldn't be able to support it except through our webhosting right now.

Setting up, and maintaining, a mail server from scratch is relatively complicated. I'm not familiar with how it would be done in Ubuntu myself (I implemented ours in Gentoo and it was a long process). It might be a better idea to use a distribution specifically designed for it, a prepackaged set of utilities for a major distribution, or a control panel that has mail services rolled into it.
ebar87
New to forums
New to forums

Post by ebar87 »

Gotcha, no worries! I got all my stuff setup finally, however, I am having an issue with sending mail, if anyone reading would like to chime in and knows more about email nonsense than I do.

Attempting to send mail from my desktop mail program through accounts I created through cPanel, works like a charm.

However, when attempting to send mail through WHMCS using one of those same accounts, Exim gives me an error Error (535): Could not authenticate. I checked out /var/log/exim_mainlog, and it doesn't give me much more...

Code: Select all

dovecot_login authenticator failed for v-66-151-xxx-xxx.unman-vds.internap-sj.nfoservers.com (subdomain.mydomain.com) [66.151.xxx.xxx]:42048: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=admin@mydomain.com)
(xxx in the last 2 quartets for the IPs above are manual replacements, along with the actual domain names)

First thing's first. Yes, the username/password entered into WHMCS is correct, lol. I'm wondering if it is something to do with WHMCS being hosted on its own VPS, and the actual email account that I created with cPanel is on its own server? Might the encoding need to be changed (although i already fiddled with the encoding, nothing changed). Also if it matters, I have both DKIM and SPF setup and functioning. Though I wouldn't think it matters since I'm just trying to login to the server to send an email right?

-----

EDIT: Disregard, it was some obscure setting in WHM/cPanel that I had to change. Thanks :)