Why don't you see servers in Portland Oregon?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
scoobydooz
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Why don't you see servers in Portland Oregon?

Post by scoobydooz »

I've always wondered why you don't see game servers in Portland Oregon. WE HAVE INTEL!!!!

I mean that doesn't mean anything, but I'm just wondering is it not good for business? I'd guess people would want servers there as its between Seattle, and Jose.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Why don't you see servers in Portland Oregon?

Post by Edge100x »

For latency-sensitive applications, the density of peering in the chosen city (higher is better) is key, as is the average proximity to clients (lower distance is better). Seattle has fare more local peering and more people nearby, so when choosing between the two cities, it is the obvious choice.

Offering both cities would be more expensive because of the minimum cost of setting up a location -- the physical space, power, and so on. The lower the overall demand in the area, the higher those costs are on a per-customer basis. For us, with game servers, the higher costs involved would just make it too expensive to offer servers in both Seattle and Portland -- we wouldn't be able to compete with providers offering just Seattle. (And if we did offer both cities, we'd see many complaints about Portland, since so much traffic would end up being backhauled to Seattle or the bay area to reach peering points.)

We already run into the high cost/low demand problem somewhat with San Jose and LA. There is a higher population in CA that makes it not quite as bad between these two cities as it would be for Seattle/Portland, but it's still more expensive to offer both than it would be to offer just one, and the overall demand is not terribly high.
scoobydooz
New to forums
New to forums

Post by scoobydooz »

That answers it!

Thank you Edge.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

What part of Portland do you live? I also am in Portland.