What's Right For Me?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Freyar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

What's Right For Me?

Post by Freyar »

I'm currently renting two 24-slot servers. One Conan Exiles, one Ark Scorched Earth. I at some point want to add cluster servers and allow people to move back and forth. I saw options for VDS (Managed/Unmanaged) and the 4-core seems reasonable price wise, but are these harder to manage? What's the likelihood of running out of memory for bigger open-area games?
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Re: What's Right For Me?

Post by Vanderburg »

Conan Exiles and ARK are both very memory intensive. A 4-core VDS would barely hold an average size server of either, so I wouldn't generally recommend moving to a VDS for that. Economies of scale may help if you were attempting to host more servers, on a larger VDS, but just for the two, I'd recommend sticking with the standard game servers.

With a VDS that is 4 or more cores, you could use a managed service and each game server would operate just like it does in the standard system, with their own control panels, and IP addresses, plus a few options for VDS customers.

If it was unmanaged, you'd connect to the operating system as Administrator (or root, on Linux) and be fully responsible for the installation and updates on the software.
Freyar
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Freyar »

I noticed that even "at boring" that ARK sits at 3GB, Conan's at 4GB. Hmm.. you're probably right. I guess in the end for Ark I am interested in... clustering a set of ark servers, but I may be under some misconceptions as to what a cluster of Ark Servers would mean.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Simple.

Each Ark server running on your cluster is an independent server that is linked via being loaded from same directory. We have 3 Ark servers in our cluster running The Island map, Center map and Scorched Earth. We have the SE mod running on the other 2 servers so you can use SE items and animals there. Each server is using about 3.5 gigs of RAM. Almost 11 gigs in total. So youll need the available RAM for each server you wish to run in your cluster combined.

We also have a large Rust server and a Conan Exiles server running on this box. Box has 64 gigs of RAM and a 1TB SSD drive.

All run very smooth as I would expect.