The current server configuration

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
RIPKILLER
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

The current server configuration

Post by RIPKILLER »

Hi my Server details are

8 cores of a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2690v2 (Ivy Bridge-E 3.0ghz) node with 8 total processor cores and 8 gigabytes of RAM. Tts OS is Linux.

Its a 32 players server

Can someone help me defining server rates for smoother gameplay?

Because there are lots of lag spikes happening at times .

Also is there way to increase fps via server rates?

I found some articles which determines setting up some rates to increase fps
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: The current server configuration

Post by TacTicToe »

Game?
RIPKILLER
New to forums
New to forums

Post by RIPKILLER »

TacTicToe wrote:Game?
Cs1.6 , Its a CTF server
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Is this a managed server? Our rates out of the box should work best.
RIPKILLER
New to forums
New to forums

Post by RIPKILLER »

Edge100x wrote:Is this a managed server? Our rates out of the box should work best.

It is a managed server , Actually im using the default rates but its causing lag spikes at times .. Can you suggest some changes?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The default rates should work best, so your problems may have another cause. Do you have any plugins on the server that use external databases, or that do a lot of CPU or I/O (such as stats plugins)?
stickz

Post by stickz »

The e5-2690v2s' are NFO's slower Xeon processors and they're generally overloaded more than the e5-2697v3s'. You'd notice 8-10% weaker single threaded performance on these at the very minimum during off-peak hours. Depending on machine load, that could be more like 15-20% slower during peak hours. They will generally have a harder time handling 32 slot servers running on the source engine from my experiences. You have lots of threads, so those lag spikes have to be the processor if machine load is bellow 50%. You can increase FPS by asking to be put on a faster processor, or switching to anther host if none are available.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The E5-2690v2 processors are not particularly slow. Machines with E5-2690v2 processors are not overloaded more than the E5-2697v3 machines. In fact, most of our machines are so underloaded that most customers don't even have to deal with another customer on a the same physical processor.

Changing the physical machine is one thing that could be looked at for his concern, but that does not make sense as the first troubleshooting step. We have relatively little information on his symptoms -- just "lag spikes", that the server was 32 players, and that he's using default rates -- and we needed to look at some other basics first. Since spikes do not usually relate to a CPU limitation with the game itself, and plugins are a frequent cause of performance problems, I was asking about them early in the process.

We'll likely not receive further responses from the customer, since he didn't answer my last question and it has been more than a month. I don't believe there's much sense to continued posts in this thread.