Scan files for viruses Online?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
mcastellanos1992
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Scan files for viruses Online?

Post by mcastellanos1992 »

Hello. excuse me can anyone from the staff tell me if i can send some files somewhere that can be analized against viruses? My last VPS was attacked and i believe it was for a file that someone gave to me (.rar file) and i realize now that it contains a virus, please see and advice me.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2017-05-17 a las 12.15.37 p.m..png
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Scan files for viruses Online?

Post by Edge100x »

https://www.virustotal.com/ is one such site, but keep in mind that by sending it to them (or another site), you consent for them to examine it and potentially to share it with others. This is not something that you should do if your file contains passwords or personal information.

You should not install software that you don't download from a known reputable source. For instance, avoid downloading software through bittorrent.
mcastellanos1992
New to forums
New to forums

Edge100x wrote:https://www.virustotal.com/ is one such site, but keep in mind that by sending it to them (or another site), you consent for them to examine it and potentially to share it with others. This is not something that you should do if your file contains passwords or personal information.

You should not install software that you don't download from a known reputable source. For instance, avoid downloading software through bittorrent.
No Sir this does not have my personal info or passwords, it was the webpage files from my last page hosted inthe other VPS, ussing appserv, it is not anymore online (i will never forget this unfortune event as a furute System Engineer)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Ah, appserv. There have been lots of security problems with previous versions of that package, mostly due to the integration of vulnerable phpMyAdmin editions.
mcastellanos1992
New to forums
New to forums

Edge100x wrote:Ah, appserv. There have been lots of security problems with previous versions of that package, mostly due to the integration of vulnerable phpMyAdmin editions.
what can i do in order to avoid that? to make appserv more secure? please
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

In general, you should install each service that you want to use separately, and keep each of them up to date.

If you need to use MySQL, that would mean installing it from the normal distribution, for instance.

It's a little bit of a hassle to install maybe several software packages instead of one, but you make sure that you get exactly what you need, that someone else doesn't choose poor initial security settings, and that you know how to keep the system up to date.
mcastellanos1992
New to forums
New to forums

Edge100x wrote:In general, you should install each service that you want to use separately, and keep each of them up to date.

If you need to use MySQL, that would mean installing it from the normal distribution, for instance.

It's a little bit of a hassle to install maybe several software packages instead of one, but you make sure that you get exactly what you need, that someone else doesn't choose poor initial security settings, and that you know how to keep the system up to date.
Good morning, so that means not to install appserv as is not secure right? What a shame... My database is setup in that program... Move it to mysql will be a mess...
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I do not recommend installing appserv or another similar packaged combination of server software, in favor of installing each software package individually.

Appserv just installs MySQL, so you can move your databases to a standard MySQL install.
mcastellanos1992
New to forums
New to forums

Edge100x wrote:I do not recommend installing appserv or another similar packaged combination of server software, in favor of installing each software package individually.

Appserv just installs MySQL, so you can move your databases to a standard MySQL install.
How can i do that? as far as i know the game server im trying to mount only works with navicat/appserv.

maybe i have to install wamp server?? because i need the webpage working locally to access the data base
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

You shouldn't install WAMP, either. You should simply install MySQL directly, using the installer available directly from the developers.

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/installer/
mcastellanos1992
New to forums
New to forums

Vanderburg wrote:You shouldn't install WAMP, either. You should simply install MySQL directly, using the installer available directly from the developers.

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/installer/
thanks for your fast answer sir.
But i need to run a webpage locally in the NFO vps, and i believe thats only possible with appserv, or WAMP, what can i use? Thanks