Accessing Webmail through Gmail

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
iViscosity
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Accessing Webmail through Gmail

Post by iViscosity »

I wrote up a small guide to help you access your NFO email through gmail. I thought of this after it took me a while to find the right settings for this as I could not find it anywhere.

Just a short guide on how to setup Gmail to receive NFOServers mail from mail.nfoservers.com

Setting this up is actually quite easy, and only required a few minutes.

Note: You cannot directly log into your email from gmail, you have to link it to an existing account.

Table of contents:
  1. 1. Setting up NFOServers email
    2. Setting up access Gmail
    3. Setting up Gmail to send/receive email
    3a. Sending email
    3b. Receiving email
    4. Accessing your web panel (not gmail)

1. Setting up NFOServers email
  • If you do not have access to the ‘mail’ tab under your webserver then you can skip this step. If you do, continue reading.

Link: https://www.nfoservers.com/control/mail ... er=website

Setting up the mail is extremely easy, simply copy the link above and replace “YOURIDENTIFIER” with whatever your identifier is (the name on the left side of your control panel). Or, you can simply go to your control panel (https://www.nfoservers.com/control/) and under ‘websites’ find the one where you want your mail to be setup -- for me, I have my domain hosted on one of my packages, so I go to that one. If you don’t have a custom domain, your email will be <yourname>@YOURIDENTIFIER.site.nfoservers.com -- and find the ‘mail’ tab (near the bottom). After that, you’ll be able to set an email address (something@YOURIDENTIFIER.site.nfoservers.com OR something@yourdomain.com) as well as a password. Once you fill those out, you’re all set.

2. Setting up access email
  • In order to send/receive email from an NFOServers email on Gmail, you’ll need to create or use an existing Gmail account. If you already have one, skip to part 3a.

To create a Gmail account, go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=mail and sign up. Once done, proceed to part 3a.

3. Setting up Gmail to send/receive email
  • 3a. Sending email
    • Setting up Gmail to send email is quite easy, simply log into the Gmail account you created earlier, and find the settings cog wheel near the top right. Go into “Settings” then “Accounts and Import”. On the right, look for “Send mail as:” and click “Add account” (Note: If you have added an email before, this will say “Add another email address”). In the box that appears, type whatever name you want under “Name:” (This will be the name that shows next to your email address (E.G. “Admin <admin@yourdomain.com>”)). Set “Email address” to the email created from your NFOServers panel (E.G. admin@yourdomain.com). Uncheck “Treat as an alias”, then click “Next”. On the next page, set “SMTP Server:” to mail.nfoservers.com and set the “Port” to 25. The username will be whatever the email address is and the password is the password that was set when the address was created. Keep “Secured connection using TLS” checked, and click “Add Account”. You will then be asked to confirm the account, to do so, go to https://webmail.nfoservers.com and login with the credentials of your address. Always include the domain after the @. When you’re logged in, you will see a message from Google asking to verify the email. Click the verification link and confirm. Now you’re done!

3b. Receiving email
    • Setting up Gmail to receive email is much simpler than sending email. Head back to “Settings” and “Accounts and Import” tab, and then look for “Check mail from other accounts:”. Click “Add a mail account” and type in the address. Then click “Next”. Make sure “Import emails from my other account (POP3)” is checked, and click “Next” again. Again, fill in the username and password with your email address and password, respectively, and set the POP server to mail.nfoservers.com. Keep the “Port” at 110.
    • Options: Note these are all optional
      Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail. Label incoming messages
      • This will force incoming mail to be labeled with a specified label. You can choose from an existing label or create a new one. Recommended to be the same as the NFOServers email address for easy access.
      Archive incoming messages (Skip the Inbox)
      • This will force incoming mail to only be shown inside the tab created for your email. They will not show under your default “Inbox”. Recommended off (personal preference).

4. Accessing your web panel (not gmail)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Accessing Webmail through Gmail

Post by Edge100x »

Thanks for your post!

In terms of SSL, I recommend keeping that on. SSL (TLS) for the mail is on a different system than for websites and fully supported on both ends all the time.
It'sRandinator
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by It'sRandinator »

Nice guide :)
iViscosity
New to forums
New to forums

Post by iViscosity »

Edge100x wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:53 am Thanks for your post!

In terms of SSL, I recommend keeping that on. SSL (TLS) for the mail is on a different system than for websites and fully supported on both ends all the time.
I know this is late, but I was just going through this again (setting up a mail on a new server, kinda forgot how to do this, so good thing I posted :P), and I read this. I was just setting this up again, and after reading this, I left SSL on and I get this message:
Server returned error: "SSL protocol error. Please try disabling SSL, or contact your other provider to verify the correct port settings."
I get that error with port 110 and 143

I get this error with port 993:
Server returned error: "Missing +OK response upon connecting to the server: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE AUTH=PLAIN ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2016 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information."
I get this error with port 995:
Server returned error: "SSL error: No path found from the leaf certificate to any root. Maybe an intermediate certificate is missing?"
I can only connect with port 110 and without SSL. This is for reading emails through POP3,
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Where are you seeing the message?

Does it work properly for you through a regular standalone client such as Thunderbird? I use Thunderbird in SSL mode personally, but with IMAP (and it works).