Front Page Thoughts

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
WorthlessJ
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Front Page Thoughts

Post by WorthlessJ »

The new landing page looks like a WIP(I'm assuming it is a WIP with how elements are misplaced), but I figured I'd give some thoughts on how it currently stands, i'll try to keep it short. To start, it's nice to see you're finally updating your website. I think using a white theme helps set you apart from other providers, most of whom are using dark themes. The page currently has a large amount of text on the front of the screen, I think this information should be moved to your about us page, and the important bits(no co-brand cost/included voice+web server/ect), should be included on order pages. I think your customer testimonials should be brought back to somewhere on the front, to make the front page more personable.

Some suggestions:

Remove the control panel button and replace it with a "log in" button that creates a drop-down field(or opens a login page), and redirects to the control panel afterwards.

Whenever you have an announcement, you should have a short few sentences explaining it, and a "Read More" button redirecting to News & Updates at the end, the current multi-paragraph setup is not ideal. (example in photoshop'd image)

The Order button should be removed and Our Servers should be the 1-stop shop for browsing and ordering servers.

All of the top buttons should go to a main page when pressed on, as well as having a list appear of specific sub-pages on hover(as they currently do). Example: support should go to a main support page with a message such as "Specific problem? Search here on forum for solution! Still need help? We can help here as well!"(IRC, email, etc.)

Included potential look for the landing page(including example of announcement)
Potential Look:
qhwatjpeg_hi_john.jpg
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Front Page Thoughts

Post by Edge100x »

We appreciate the feedback! There will certainly be many differing opinions on how the website should be designed.

The current page is mostly a fairly simple lighter version of what was there before, with one column instead of three (something we already did for mobile). Both changes give a cleaner, simpler look and are more in line with modern style standards -- and they were mostly accomplished with fairly simple stylesheet changes. A full site redesign may come later. The old site has just been so badly needing fundamental changes that I paused other work to push something out now.

In the short term, the information in many areas does need to be updated, certainly. In my opinion, that is the greatest deficiency. I've done some of that already, but every page could use additional rewording and focusing on the concrete strengths of our services -- the things customers most care about and that set us apart -- with links and/or expansion boxes with more specific details. When I've finished some of the other items on my plate, I'll be looking at the language further personally.

There are some differing opinions internally on what to do with the menus, at least in terms of the style. Retooling them to have better categories would also make sense, as part of a larger redesign.

When it comes to announcement box on the main page, you're probably right. Shorter information there could be better -- though most of what is in the box is general information about our services anyway (what the main page is all about). The current sale will end soon, and I'll have to think about that further for the next sale.

We have to be careful with language specifically about game servers. A significant portion of our client base actually uses our services for non-game purposes now! Game servers have been declining as a revenue source for us partially because the makers of most of the biggest games now don't allow people/companies to run their own dedicated servers, or they make those servers second-class citizens over "official" ones that they operate.
hakkuo23
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Front Page Thoughts

Post by hakkuo23 »

Gotta go full material and drop the gradients! But it's great seeing it updated and I hope to see more VPS and Dedi configuration offerings!