Fix Killing Floor 2 Server High I/O, Hard Drive usage custom maps

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
WorthlessJ
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Fix Killing Floor 2 Server High I/O, Hard Drive usage custom maps

Post by WorthlessJ »

I recently found out about a KF2 Server problem, if you are hosting custom maps through the steam workshop the server will constantly check for updates on those maps. This isn't a problem, however it writes to a log file every time it checks, and this smashes the server hard drive.

If you are hosting workshop maps, add Suppress=NetComeGo and Suppress=Log in the [Core.System] section of PCServer-KFEngine.ini or LinuxServer-KFEngine.ini to stop the workshop logs.

Original Source:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1261479187

I got to figure this out by accidentally smashing on a NFO VPS, wee.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Fix Killing Floor 2 Server High I/O, Hard Drive usage custom maps

Post by Edge100x »

Interesting! The beta also mostly fixes this, but possibly the two could be combined for the best results. Did you notice any side effects?
WorthlessJ
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by WorthlessJ »

Nah, it just stops logs from being written to file as far as I could tell. I watched iostat and fatrace (ubuntu 18.04) for about 2 hours, did some more finangiling. Discovered it only partially "fixes" the problem, server still bangs on the HDD doing constant reads. Turned all of my servers off again and am changing the maps over to FastDL at the moment. I couldn't find any command to fully stop logs from being written, I even tried some google-fu by doing Unreal Engine 3 related searches. One note is you can also do:

Suppress=DevOnline
Suppress=ScriptLog
Suppress=DevNet
Suppress=DevLobby

(basically looked in the log and found every entry blockable)

Another solution I found was to write to dev/null. However with the main performance hit being reads, not really worth it. How much better is the beta build performing for you?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The beta gets rid of most of the extra reads. The game mostly (or exclusively) does them when it starts up now, instead of doing them near-constantly.