HTML MOTD not changing?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

HTML MOTD not changing?

Post by doulos9 »

Hello, the MOTD and displayed fine for a long time and I've never had this problem where the changes I make show up fine if I copy and paste the URL directly from motd.txt into my browser, but when I enter the game I see the old MOTD (yes, I restarted the server after the changes were made). Is there some kind of a cache that is not flushing even after a server restart?

Windows CS:S server on a VPS.
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Re: HTML MOTD not changing?

Post by Spray »

HTML MOTDs were disabled by default a while back, due to a large number of servers running ADs in the MOTD. Try setting cl_disablehtmlmotd 0 in your client console in CS:S, to see if this gets your HTML MOTD working as intended.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

HTML MOTD does show up, just not the changed version. No, that did not work. It is as if the MOTD is using a different URL than the one in the motd.txt. I have been managing this server for many year and have never had this problem before - and I update the language in the HTML MOTD several times a year.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

Fixed it by changing the URL to another server restarting the server then changing the URL back to the original and restarting. Weird.
doulos9
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by doulos9 »

Spray wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:26 am HTML MOTDs were disabled by default a while back, due to a large number of servers running ADs in the MOTD. Try setting cl_disablehtmlmotd 0 in your client console in CS:S, to see if this gets your HTML MOTD working as intended.
So what? Why does valve care if servers run ads in the motd (I do not, only server rules). Ridiculous, IMO, to set it to off by default. Players can always turn it off if they want.