transferring ips

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

transferring ips

Post by Naleksuh »

Is it possible to transfer an IP address from one NFO package to another? They are in different regions, but I assume the region could be changed if necessary. I am looking to move off a managed game server to a VPS without having the IP for that server change.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: transferring ips

Post by Edge100x »

Going from a normal standalone game server to a managed VDS is fully supported, with data transfer also occurring as part of the process. After setting up the VDS, you'd need to use the order page to assign the server to the VDS.

The main complications are that:

- Any remaining time in the paid month for the game server is lost. So, you should time this for the end of a paid month.
- The website that goes along with the game server will be lost. You'll need to contact us about this.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Some info I should currently add:

Those two cons will not be applicable because the game server is part of a managed VDS already. So the pay time is irrelevant and there is no website.

Secondly, I already own the unmanaged VDS I want to merge it onto, not to get a new VDS). I simply want to "merge" the IP onto there, so that I can transition without having the server's IP change. I have not backed up the servers files yet, because there are currently people playing on the server at the time of me writing this. However I will back them up as soon as I can, at which point I can open a support request.

So is it still possible to have this IP moved? And if so, will I need to change the region to match?
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

In addition, will this mean that I have to remove my existing IP from the vps?
Vanderburg
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Vanderburg »

Can you please elaborate as to what you are attempting to do? The initial description was a regular game server that you wanted to move to a managed VDS. This process is fairly straightforward.

It looks now like you are talking about a game server that is already on a managed VDS and you only want the IP address itself, to be on a different unmanaged VDS. Are you planning on turning the unmanaged VDS into a managed VDS and want the whole game server moved, or do you just want the IP for your unmanaged VDS? When you say they are in two different regions, do you mean that the game server and the target unmanaged VDS are at different location/data centers?
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Okay, let me try explaining in a new form.

A) Managed game server on a managed VDS, located at the north pole, on ip address 1.1.1.1

B) Unmanaged VDS located at the equator, on ip address 255.255.255.255

I want to shut down package A, then add the ip address 1.1.1.1 as a secondary ip to package B, so that I can set up an unmanaged game server there without having the ip change.

Is this possible? And if yes, will this mean that I will have to move package B to the north pole, or that I will lose the 255.255.255.255 ip, or both?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It would be best to use real locations in your examples, to make them easier to understand. I don't see a reason not to just say Chicago, or Dallas, or whatever you actually use, if those are what you mean. You can also contact us directly so that we can see your actual packages -- there's no need to post here in the forum for specific service adjustment questions.

In any case --

- Moving to a new location in our system changes the IP address, period. There is no getting around that.
- Moving an IP address between two services, when one or both are unmanaged -- even if they are at the same location -- is not supported in our system. You can ask us directly whether we can do try to help you with manual adjustments.

We talk more about how IP addresses are handled here: viewforum.php?f=90
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Okay, so it seems like what I want to do isn't possible, I will simply change all instances of the IP address. Thanks for the answers anyway, though :)