Server Coffer

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
kejey1
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Server Coffer

Post by kejey1 »

Hello,

This may have been asked before but I couldn't seem to find an answer so I thought I would ask.

When someone donates to a NFOserver coffer, does NFOServers have to do taxes on the donation or does the person renting the server space need too?
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Server Coffer

Post by Naleksuh »

By taxes do you mean legal taxes or processing fees?
kejey1
New to forums
New to forums

Post by kejey1 »

The taxes that you would do at the end of the year, so legal taxes I am referring too.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

In terms of potential income tax implications, that's not something that would be on our end, so you'd need to talk with your accountant about it.

In many cases, there would be an argument to be made that the other person is helping to pay for a service indirectly and that his or her portion would be a share and not a gift, or that it doesn't benefit the receiver enough to be considered a gift.

Also, in most cases, even if a donation were considered a simple gift, it would be small enough that it wouldn't exceed the annual gift tax exclusion per giver, which is currently $15k at the federal level in the US. If the gift were particularly large and did exceed this, the excess should go against your lifetime exemption. Your accountant can provide details on how this works, and help you with any forms that you'd need to fill out.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

Interesting. I don't speak legalese which is kind of why I petered out of this conversation at viewtopic.php?p=79023#p79022

Also yes, I'm assuming most donations are like $5-$20...if someone does decide to send $15, 001 through an NFo coffer that's something else :lol:
kejey1
New to forums
New to forums

Post by kejey1 »

Thanks for the explanation, appreciate the response.