What comes after?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
single.train
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

What comes after?

Post by single.train »

Throughout the pandemic that's been affecting us all, I discovered NFOServers. And I couldn't be happier.

I hope once these crazy DDoS attacks tone down, NFO can start working on some new features, including backups/snapshots. DDoS attacks are understandingly exhausting, so I can't really blame you. However, I would like to shout you out for your great protection.

NFOServers has provided me with great hardware, on a truly plaid network. NFO's support is ludicrously fast, and has the answer the first time around.

It's truly unparalleled. It's been a wild ride for the past year or so, and I wanted to know NFO's plans for the future.
Are snapshots/backups planned to arrive soon? Also, is there a new dashboard in the works?

I hope you have an amazing morning/afternoon/evening! And thank you for providing me with such great service.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: What comes after?

Post by Naleksuh »

"Are snapshots/backups planned to arrive soon?"

They already exist, unless you mean for (V)DSes in which case see viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4728
single.train
New to forums
New to forums

Post by single.train »

That was almost 11 years ago.

Also, perhaps a paid option? You pay 20% of the price of the VDS and get backups?

Thank you
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We do our best keep KB articles up-to-date, so even the oldest ones should still be valid.

It's still not feasible for us to make or keep backups of unmanaged VDSes on our end, for a variety of reasons, including that standard Xen doesn't support snapshotting and that you can't reliably snapshot/back up a server from outside the OS without the backup potentially being corrupt. What I generally recommend to people is that they consider using rsnapshot for this purpose, but there are many other backup options, both free and commercial.

If you go with a backup solution that requires a special boot disk to restore the system, and you need that boot disk to be added to your machine as an iso option, please just let us know, and we can put it on there.
Naleksuh
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Naleksuh »

"We do our best keep KB articles up-to-date, so even the oldest ones should still be valid."

This. I have found some out of date info in knowledgebase posts before but they are usually fixed immediately when I point them out. Most of them are timeless and I wouldn't say something is wrong just because it was posted X amount of time ago and nothing else.

For backing up files, I usually just compress my most important directories. In my opinion it is redundant to back up the entirety of the system as OS files can easily be recovered or reinstalled.