NFo StoryBook...How did you get to NFo?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
-[.40 cal ]- PupPeT
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Re: NFo StoryBook...How did you get to NFo?

Post by -[.40 cal ]- PupPeT »

nm just here passing by lovin NFO :mrgreen:
Dog_Pound
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Dog_Pound »

Before we opened our new clan we looked for providers and I found NFO on the web, extremely well rated but a bit more money than some of the others I found. Being a nitwit, I ended up going with another provider who was priced mid range and seemed to have okay ratings (in retrospect I think they had their mother write them), figuring that would be good enough. Big mistake, crappy service when it was available at all...never got a server ready for release without a two week or more delay, crashing servers with limited to no access to restart or fix, service tickets that were completely ignored, more stress than a game is worth and in the end they took our money and ran (took their payments in advance and after that cleared, locked down and wiped our servers...I wasn't the only one they did this to by the way)..almost destroyed our newly formed clan..sigh.

Having seen what saving money could do to you...lol...I had enough and went back to the company I had found with the highest recommendations during my original research....NFO. Boy was I amazed when I ordered my server and they responded in under 5 minutes with everything I needed setup and ready to go! Been here ever since, now running multiple stress free servers and happy as a clam, as are my members and our server guests :mrgreen:
BnD|Sleeper
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by BnD|Sleeper »

Though I have been an NFo customer since before this thread was even started, I never posted my story or why I have been here since November 23, 2004.

My clan (formed with 4 other members Pat, Patflac, Whix, and Bernard) was originally named MOTU or "Mark of the Unicorn" - yes yes, LOL.

Then we changed the name to Blazin' N' Drinkin' because as you may or may not imagine, my clan was chalk full of that ;-). Now it's not true really at all but we've retained the name that has made us popular over the years.

We started with some other game server providers, some of which I actually worked for. But they always disappointed from bad service to bad quality to lying and deception. I finally decided while at school I wanted to give Nuclearfallout (relatively new but already respected provider) a shot. I ordered the server during a break; within minutes, the server was already up and running. As I was browsing the internet for 10-20 minutes just surfing, I was not aware my server was already filling up. I checked the status again and I already saw several players in my server who I did not know. If only I knew who those players were because BnD still lives strong at bndclan.com and our servers with IP [url=steam://connect/wc3.bndclan.com:27015]wc3.bndclan.com:27015[/url] or [url=wc3.bndclan.com:27015]64.94.101.52:27015[/url] and [url=steam://connect/66.150.155.126:27015]uwc3.bndclan.com:27015[/url] or [url=steam://connect/66.150.155.126:27015]66.150.155.126:27015[/url]

Many times I made bold remarks to John and Tom (Anyone unaware of who they are, they are the owners of NFo) about leaving NFo. But they are the main reason along with the fact my WC3 server is very popular with it's current IP that I am still an NFo customer. Though I have never met them nor spoke with them over the phone or any other means of "personal" communication, I can only imagine they are great people in "real life." If I am ever in Seattle visiting where many of my friends from school live, maybe I'll stop by and see you John ;-) or maybe if I'm down in Fountain Valley for some odd reason (maybe visiting friends at UCLA), Tom prepare for a visit ;-).

I can imagine John and Tom have been close to wanting me to leave (I don't doubt Nick/Siren/Brendan/BooYa or any other NFo associate) because I have raised hell, bugged them, angered them and wasted probably many hours of their precious time and "beauty sleep" hours :P.

I mentioned long ago that had they been a publicly traded company on the stock market with their business strategy the way it is, I would be sure to invest in them. This is because they know the meaning behind SUPPORT and QUALITY. No they are not of the market value required to be a publicly traded company therefore I cannot buy shares/stock in their company but instead I can urge people to invest in a server through NFo and continue to invest in them with my servers. All of my servers are run through NFo and even though people claimed "oh but you could run a dedicated server," I've replied "If it's not broken, why fix it?" NFo does not jerk me around much if at all; their pricing is straightforward and their service and quality mirror that; it's top notch. If you want to pay less, they do have a subsidiary (a company they run) but do not advertise for it but they are also amazing game servers, they just don't come with much in "freebies." If you are interested in that, talk to them and add to your current line of servers by investing money into that subsidiary company :-).

I know my posts are long but I've had almost 4 years of NFo experience now so it's only fair ;-).

BTW, their control panel has not changed a whole lot since 2004 :P. Guess that falls under "if it's not broken, why fix it?" category because it has worked well for all these years.

Well my rant is over for now.

Sleeper @ bndclan.com
NFo customer since Nov 23. 2004
Servers: uwc3.bndclan.com and wc3.bndclan.com
http://www.BnDClan.com

WC3:FT CS 1.6: wc3.bndclan.com:27015 or 64.94.101.52:27015)

http://rentals.nuclearfallout.net/rent. ... ferrer=bnd
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

i am new to the NFO GSP community, but not NFO itself. i've never run a server before, but with BFBC2 coming out, i figured i'd try my hand at admin'ing my own server (also so i can ban cheaters/exploiters immediately).

as for NFO, many years ago, i went to high school with Roach, a founding member of the NFO gaming community. i was a member of his clan and conducted the recruitment trials for dkrypt, another NFO community founder.

after deciding on running my own server for BFBC2, there was only one GSP that was considered...and here i am.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

maelstrom wrote:as for NFO, many years ago, i went to high school with Roach, a founding member of the NFO gaming community. i was a member of his clan and conducted the recruitment trials for dkrypt, another NFO community founder.
That's impressively old school :). It's been awhile since I've seen another [AR] guy around these parts.
maelstrom
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by maelstrom »

i remember you when you were at UW (iirc), edge :P i was predator[AR] back then...stopped playing CS after i found out how incredibly shitty UCLA's residential network was. this was back in the day when napster was the new big thing and everyone and their mother was downloading and sharing mp3s lol. i would ping spike like crazy even to servers in LA.

know anything about roach/dkrypt? roach was ~2 years younger than me so when i went to college and after i stopped playing CS, i kind of lost touch with him. my guess is either military or professional stoner :P. either would befit him well.
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
maelstrom.nuclearfallout.net:19567
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yup, you remember right :)

I haven't seen or heard anything about Roach of Dkrypt in a long time. I'd say your guess probably isn't far off for Roach ;)
Dashit
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Dashit »

I started playing on NFo when its was 1 server in a dorm room.

Me and a bunch of old <@> members who founded the clan played there all the time.

Jester
Dakilla
Redeye
Psionic
Bloodshot
Me
Blackheart
Darkman
Abyss
Omega
And The Late Great Tomas.

Think i even wooped on edge a few times back in the with an awp :)
Encrypted_God
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Encrypted_God »

I've been renting servers for about 5 years now. When I developed a gaming clan of course we needed a server. The company was gameservers.com. After 4yrs we disbanded and my co-founder and I ventured into ArmA and ArmA-II. We now play the game as it is. No clan. Just a couple of guys getting together.

Again, we needed a server so I rented one from "Art of War" servers. Absolutely sucked!!! So I totally left them prematurely. Like 2 months before my next billing due date. I didn't care, they were that bad. Then I went over to my current company; Defcon...*sigh* again, this company sucks BIG TIME. Like Art of war, nothing but a lag-fest. Just horrible support and they just seem like they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

a few nights ago the lag was so unbearable that I logged off the server and sent in a support ticket and guess what? No answer for nearly 18 hours. The answer I got was only 2 sentences long asking me "how they can help me" WTF? I already told you!!

They told me to "Check my computer specs as it may be the culprit". I had enough and I literary told them to *&#^@ off. I did a simple google search and BAM! I'm at NFO. I did some reading and I thought; "Well, I guess I will give these guys a try!"

One last comment; Please don't misinterpret my words here but with all due respect I have a bad taste in my mouth so I may "sound" reluctant. Rightfully so. I mean, 2 company's and both BAD experiences. I'm on my knees NFO, please good to me...Image
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Encrypted_God, we'll absolutely do our best. Our response times here are typically on the order of just a few minutes during the 9am-11pm PST timeframe, and if you have a concern about the service, please ask the support staff to escalate to me.

The ArmA2 games are a fairly new offering for us. We've found that they have a number of bugs and tend to be very piggy on CPU and memory, but we're diligently accumulating more and more knowledge and techniques for how best to run them. I look forward to working with you on your server!
Encrypted_God
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Encrypted_God »

Yes, the game is very CPU/MEM intensive no doubt. Even on my rig. Most issues arise from my hardware to my OS. Sometime I need to disable 2 of my GPU's so yeah, the game is, in fact, "piggy". Today I am putting in my order as soon as I'm done posting this message. Please standby if you're around today.

I do appreciate the comfort Edge.
_p1_
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by _p1_ »

I have went through a few hosts over the past couple of years, won't mention any names but the stories all end the same. Lag, crashes, support tickets and techs rebooting fully populated servers etc ..

So recently I went searching for a new host to givem a shot. I found NFO from someone mentioning them on another providers forums. I said eff it can't be wors then what I got now.

I was surprised to see the difference in price tbh but I am a firm beliver in 'you get what you pay for'. After 3 or 4 days now I can say the following.

1. Your control panel is effing great and far superior to other gsp's.
2. Server is running great
3. Hit reg is perfect
4. Support is fast

Like I said I am only 4 days in to my new server here but so far so good!
cwg Bobbo!
New to forums
New to forums

Post by cwg Bobbo! »

I am one of the people who owns and operates our community, commonwealth gaming! (www.commonwealthgaming.net) We run tf2, css, and had a minecraft server that will hopefully be back up soon.

Our horror story started with an awful host, who I won't badmouth here. The day after we closed our account, I was contacted and told that there was some sort of massive data leak issue on the box or something, and they would give us a discount if we came back, to which I Told there where they could stuff it!

WE moved on to a host that gave us no problems, singlehop. They run a great business over there, but the cost ended up being too much for us. After a few months of looking, One of the staff at cwg found NFO, and we have been happy ever since!
blue2023
New to forums
New to forums

Post by blue2023 »

i typed into google......"fastest, badass'est, gameservers on earth" and here i am with no regrets
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

blue2023 wrote:i typed into google......"fastest, badass'est, gameservers on earth" and here i am with no regrets

lol.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!