Edge Ever heard of A bbs, and the game called majormud?.

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
DASHlT
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Edge Ever heard of A bbs, and the game called majormud?.

Post by DASHlT »

In recent days, I have had a few people having problems with keeping there systems up because of dsl/cable, and they would like to have a nice stable fast connection. Now I had asked a certain sysop <that is what we call them>, and asked how much bandwidth would it use up? <as in 50k a sec etc> he said around 100k a sec, 30gigs of data a month. The problem is the Information on this bbs <its called worldgroup> which still runs in dos mode etc. I really do not know how this could work out, but I can see a HUGE investment if you guys could get bbs to run on your rentals line......check this place out and see how many people still play this old text game http://www.mudcentral.com and check the forums, maybe put an add, see what your response is? I do not know, but anyway Please get back to me on this.....ASAP.

DASHlT
Got Lag?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Yes, I am definitely familiar with BBSes (Bulletin Board Systems).. I am somewhat old school, remember? And yes, I know what a sysop (Systems Operator) is. I'm surprised that people are still using the term BBS, actually, considering that the old-style modem-based BBSes went the way of the dodo ;). And yes, I did play on a couple of MUDs (Multi User Dungeons) back in the day..

We might be able to work something out; it sounds like the best idea for such a situation would be a colocation through us. With our colocation option, a person provides us with his/her own hardware and we just connect it to the 'net -- and the customer pays a monthly fee based on how much bandwidth is used. That way, we don't have to worry about hardware requirements, or setup, or anything like that on our end.

If a customer would rather us administrate the machine and run it on our hardware, I would have to know much more about the software and its system and bandwidth requirements, security, and so on. And I'm not sure I would have time to learn that :?