Video Card Help

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Video Card Help

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Looking for a new video card, not sure what to get. Most play CS 1.6 and DODS. I don't need the best of the best, but I want some mediocre and not pay up the rear end. I haven't even really started looking, just thought I'd see what others suggested first, then go from there. Anyone with video card experience, chime in! :wink:
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Video Card Help

Post by Edge100x »

I use an ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB myself (the MSI edition) and the performance is very good. But, there may be better out now, in its price range (I bought mine in February).

On the low end (<100), the GeForce GT 240 was just released, and seems to be decent: http://hothardware.com/Articles/Zotac-G ... on-Review/
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I'm thinking the second one. Mostly cause I'm currently laid off and probabally shouldn't be spending 100+ on a video card for me to sit on my computer more. Don't think the lady friend would approve of that :roll:
BnD|Sleeper
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by BnD|Sleeper »

rustydusty1717 wrote:I'm thinking the second one. Mostly cause I'm currently laid off and probabally shouldn't be spending 100+ on a video card for me to sit on my computer more. Don't think the lady friend would approve of that :roll:
The $630 ATI 5970 should suffice for you ;-).

In real terms, the 4670 would suffice for your needs as well and it costs less.

BnD | Sleeper @ bndclan.com
http://www.BnDClan.com

WC3:FT CS 1.6: wc3.bndclan.com:27015 or 64.94.101.52:27015)

http://rentals.nuclearfallout.net/rent. ... ferrer=bnd
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

BnD|Sleeper wrote:
rustydusty1717 wrote:I'm thinking the second one. Mostly cause I'm currently laid off and probabally shouldn't be spending 100+ on a video card for me to sit on my computer more. Don't think the lady friend would approve of that :roll:
The $630 ATI 5970 should suffice for you ;-).

In real terms, the 4670 would suffice for your needs as well and it costs less.

BnD | Sleeper @ bndclan.com
I'd rather not sleep on the grass for the next money :P

I'll look into the 4670, thanks!
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Month**

Apparently I can't spell today! Just curious, but why isn't there an edit button? Maybe I'm just blind though.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

rustydusty1717 wrote:Just curious, but why isn't there an edit button? Maybe I'm just blind though.
We had some problems in the past with people editing posts to completely change their content. I will look into whether I can re-enable this with some sort of timer (like 5 minutes) to allow quick changes.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Perfect, thank you!
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I personally prefer ATI cards, after being an Nvidia fan for a long time I checked out ATI after their driver issues were sorted out years ago and ATI simply has a better looking image all around (not talking about SFX, just image quality). As for what you need a card for you can get an older or slower card without having a problem to save yourself some money, maybe even a 256mb card vs a 512mb card. What card are you currently using that you want to replace?
TimeX
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Thanks for all the useful info! I'm just using ATI Radeon express 200 I believe. It's alright, but I lag in smoke on CS and since I just started becoming competitive again, it won't work for matches.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

That is actually a motherboard chipset, are you using onboard video? If so then going to an add in card will really help and there are some decent 256MB and 512MB cards now, while they may not have the best GPUs or fastest RAM specs they still do very well.

I myself was running 2 ATI X1950 XTX's in crossfire configuration until they were both damaged in a move, so needing a replacement fast on a limited budget I picked up a cheap 512MB X1550 for about $40 and it works great for even the Source based games, especially so if your graphics settings are conservative (though next gen games like Bioshock or UT3 don't run nearly as well as my old setup).
TimeX
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

TimeX wrote:That is actually a motherboard chipset, are you using onboard video? If so then going to an add in card will really help and there are some decent 256MB and 512MB cards now, while they may not have the best GPUs or fastest RAM specs they still do very well.

I myself was running 2 ATI X1950 XTX's in crossfire configuration until they were both damaged in a move, so needing a replacement fast on a limited budget I picked up a cheap 512MB X1550 for about $40 and it works great for even the Source based games, especially so if your graphics settings are conservative (though next gen games like Bioshock or UT3 don't run nearly as well as my old setup).
Ya, I'm using onboard. I just need a card that will run CS and DODS with no problems. Don't need to be able to run the highest settings, but I want something descent. I don't see myself playing any of those newer games, or atleast not for a while. If I ever do, I'll just buy a new PC. Only problem with my current PC is that it lags hard in smokes in CS and doesn't run well on DOD:S.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

A cheaper card like I mentioned should work good for you then. I should also mention that price I paid for it was just over a year ago so with the way computer tech moves forward and drops prices on older things you should be able to get a bit better than that now for the same money. Gotta love major performance boosts for under $50. :wink:
TimeX
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Under $50? Wow, that's way under my budget even! Where would you suggest buying it from?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I myself am forced to shop online due to a lack of local places to shop for PC parts, so something like newegg or tigerdirect are worth checking out though you may find a better place than those two. If you have a place near by that you can shop at you should check that out as well and compare prices to what you saw at the online stores, keeping in mind that you won't have to pay shipping and you can go home the same day with it.
TimeX