nfoservers.com was down

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
crs4380
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

nfoservers.com was down

Post by crs4380 »

What happened to it? The main site was down for awhile sometime in the morning.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: nfoservers.com was down

Post by Edge100x »

I'm still not sure what it was that led to it being down last night, but the most likely possibility is a kernel bug. I am going to work on upgrading the kernel after Christmas.

The specific external monitoring system that sends me notifications when the webserver goes down also failed, so I've fixed that up now. If there's another problem, I'll be able to get it back online very quickly.
crs4380
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by crs4380 »

I see. Well, is there anything you can do to change the mail system for web hosting clients? I really disliked the fact that I couldn't access my email due to the main webserver went down. I thought the mail system would be on the same server as my website files are on.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

The mail's web interface of http://webmail.nfoservers.com/ is on the same machine that the hosted website files are on, and it doesn't depend on the main webserver, so it shouldn't have been affected. You can also access the mail server directly via IMAP/POP3; it's on a separate machine than our main webserver, and not dependent on it.

As a side note, main webserver downtime won't become a frequent occurrence, for obvious reasons ;).
twitch
New to forums
New to forums

Post by twitch »

was down for me again today and my server install to managed froze.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

We had a few minutes of problems with the webserver today. This wouldn't have caused a VDS install to freeze, though -- that would be something separate.