Remember when...?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
Kryptik
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Remember when...?

Post by Kryptik »

Remember when the games were not filled with hackers? When you could have a group of friends go into a game lobby and have people who weren't cursing, yelling, or annoying as hell? Well, I don't because I don't think I have been around long enough.. :P Anyone else know if there was a time that no one used hacks on CoD, BF, Or even minecraft?
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Re: Remember when...?

Post by TimeX »

You make me feel like a very old nerd. I remember a time before CoD, before Minecraft, and before lobbys. Hell, I remember won.net and the time before Steam, and I even remember before Ventrilo and we used Roger Wilco. I remember playing shooters on dailup, lol.

Back then, we still had hackers, lack of manners and class, and all then same crap that goes on today, and pretty much to the same extent, also. As long as there is still a teenager in the phase of thinking he is more badass than everyone else, amplified by the safety of the Internet, and thinking they can rule the world with a script...that same teenager will ruin someone's game, launch an attack at a server, and code an email virus from Asia.

The good news is that videogames as a whole are still awesome. :D
TimeX
Sim
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Sim »

I remember when Counter Strike used PunkBuster anti-cheat. I use to play CS 1.4 on 56k dial-up connection on a server called Flagen 24/7 Dust, 400ms ping and still kicked butt :P . We had asshats back then too, played on one server where the admin edited my cfg, so when i press E it would say " I hack" just so he can try and get me banned on another server we both played on, the head admin on the other server would accept a screenshot of someone saying that hack as proof.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Oh man, I forgot about that transition from PB to VAC. I played TFC at the time, so we lost PB but didn't get VAC yet. That is when CSGuard (later HLGuard) became popular. Some of the "good ol days" sucked. lol
TimeX
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Anyone remember Cheating Death (CD)? That was the bees' knees at one time. It used methods to prevent hooking that were later adopted by PB and VAC.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I remember that, it had a client and server side half to it, and could be set to optional or required. Anyone without it when set to optional would have their name prefixed with [NO-CD] which became a popular thing to do just to be funny.
TimeX
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Good ol days....
Elochai
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Elochai »

I never played online till SoF2 came out. I do remeber playing a few games back on Windows 3.1, 95.

Used to play pipe dream, SkiFree, Doom2, and this other game that I can't even remeber the name of where you where running through tombs and picking up egypten letters.

Ya I never got into online mode for games till SoF2 came out and some guys in computer class installed it on a network drive and ran it as a LAN server. We had 2 computer labs and and over 40 computers. It was a blast, there would be 2 - 3 servers running. Only pain in the ass was finding the new location of the game files as they where always moving copies around where the school kept trying to delete it off the servers.
Scott AKA Elochai

Let the Clips Fall Down!
Kryptik
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Kryptik »

Aha, this is hilarious,
TimeX wrote:As long as there is still a teenager in the phase of thinking he is more badass than everyone else...that same teenager will ruin someone's game, launch an attack at a server, and code an email virus from Asia.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Seeing just that part of what I said makes me realize that I was likely a bit harsh and unfair...the rest of the world has teenagers like that as well.
TimeX
Kryptik
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by Kryptik »

TimeX wrote:Seeing just that part of what I said makes me realize that I was likely a bit harsh and unfair...the rest of the world has teenagers like that as well.
That wasn't harsh :P It was true, I am a teen, 16, and I'm not offended.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Welcome to the console age where noobsticks rule supreme. :|
mystical
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by mystical »

TimeX wrote:You make me feel like a very old nerd. I remember a time before CoD, before Minecraft, and before lobbys. Hell, I remember won.net and the time before Steam, and I even remember before Ventrilo and we used Roger Wilco. I remember playing shooters on dailup, lol.

Back then, we still had hackers, lack of manners and class, and all then same crap that goes on today, and pretty much to the same extent, also. As long as there is still a teenager in the phase of thinking he is more badass than everyone else, amplified by the safety of the Internet, and thinking they can rule the world with a script...that same teenager will ruin someone's game, launch an attack at a server, and code an email virus from Asia.

The good news is that videogames as a whole are still awesome. :D
Me and my dad played DooM on dial-up...we ran our phone bill up to over $600.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

Me and my dad played DooM on dial-up...we ran our phone bill up to over $600.
wow.....

lol
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
AciDPuke
A regular
A regular

Post by AciDPuke »

I enjoyed playing Desent and Terminal Velocity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_V ... ideo_game)

I am sure many remember kali for $20 you could get a lifetime licence that emulated a LAN. Fun multiplayer action

With my supper fast pentium 100 and 28.8k modem fun times that was almost 17yrs ago