Bringing a server back to life?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
VoodooNecro
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Bringing a server back to life?

Post by VoodooNecro »

Ello,

I've been a long time supporter of the server (As well as Nuclear Fallout), so the owner handed me control finally since he is unable to resume progressive fixes and maintenance (The owner is still the original owner).

//AKA the server is dead and the owner no longer cares

My task is to get the server back up in prime condition, bring new people in, keep donaters supporting and content. My problem lies on just the fact I don't know where, or how to get more people interested. I've fixed all the problems and errors, corrected any plugins, and even added some new donater benefits. I'm trying to focus on the community (honestly), so, I wish to see how others "bring new life into dead things". I realize I could go around and spam "JOIN THIS SERVER", however lets be realistic here, I want people to join out of interest.

So I ask you, and anyone, how would you a server back to life?

~Love Voodoo
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Bringing a server back to life?

Post by J-English »

What server are you talking about?
VoodooNecro
New to forums
New to forums

Post by VoodooNecro »

A team-fortress 2 server, "UNF ".

I didn't want to put out the name since it may be considered advertising.
BrendanG
Staff
Staff

Post by BrendanG »

It sounds like your best option is to contact the primary and have him sign the server over. Or contact our support team to let us look into the status of the server.

Please feel free to contact us directly so we can look more indepth into this.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

What kind of TF2 server is it? I don't think nfo will care if you post the server in this context, if they do they will remove it, they wont disable your account or anything.

If it is a stock TF2 server (24 slot on a valve quickplay-supported map) you can take advantage of the quickplay system. Get 6 people in the server and it kicks in. Our servers go from 6-24 in a matter of minutes during prime time(after most people get out of work/school or around noon est.

Read about quickplay here and how to enable it: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -AFGJ-3513

If it is a custom server, same idea basically, get a few people playing and have them invite their friends.

If you can change the server, I recommend finding a niche gamemode, something that is fun but not yet popular.

These methods are how we fill out servers up :)
Not a NFO employee
VoodooNecro
New to forums
New to forums

Post by VoodooNecro »

@BrendanG
The problem isn't the control (Well, it was). Its getting the server popular again

@soja
Thank you, the whole thing to the server is "Orange maps", almost vanilla but "Cool Extras", extras that don't break anything, but just give it a extra kick. For instance we used to have a sourcemod plugin called abilities which eventually broke. Now we're at the point of acouple plugins (Afk_manager, spawn some bosses every so often [manually], donater benefits), mostly we just rely on orange maps, and voting for 'fun' maps like balloon race, avanti, etc. The server is full around 3pm and up till night, but around 8pmish it dies down again.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Sounds like it has a good start, whats the location? if you're on a coast you probably have a good chance at getting some overseas regulars with good pings
Not a NFO employee