Hosting, Game Server, B3 Bot

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Hosting, Game Server, B3 Bot

Post by mikedbom »

Let me first say that I did search the forums and knowledgebase and didnt come up with a definitive answer to my question so here I am.

I am in the market for a 30 slot COD4 server. I plan to have a website hosted with somebody, perhaps NFO. And I'm interested in the B3 rcon and xlr stats software.

I am guessing I will need the following:
NFO Game server
NFO Hosting
NFO VPS

I see hosting comes with MySQL and Python. Is that an alternative to having to get a VPS?

Thanks for help in advance.

Mike B.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Re: Hosting, Game Server, B3 Bot

Post by Edge100x »

You would likely not be able to run a B3 bot on the webhosting account, as I believe it is a daemon that expects to run at all times, and we do not allow those. As you suggested, you would need an unmanaged VDS for the B3 component.

To cut costs, you might also consider using that same unmanaged VDS for hosting the game server.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

So to order a VDS seems straightforward. How do you add a gameserver to it? I dont see that as an option.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

I found the FAQ on that. Thank you.
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

Okay so I see I can add game servers and each server will require an ip. But am I limited in the number of player slots on a vds based game server?
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

You should be able to take it up to the game maximum.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

If you are on managed you have as many IPs as you will need. When you create a game server it will be assigned an IP.

Player slots are not limited on a VDS/Dedi, but after a certain amount of players server performance will suffer. The VDS order page has a good estimate on this. For example 3 core is described as: "Perfect for 3-9 game servers or many sites."

For CoD4 you should be able to hold 100 slots easy, depending on the gametype etc.

Keep an eye on the graphs in the "server usage" tab, you will get a warning after 50% CPU usage. This is the recommended maximum average CPU usage for servers(so they never experience lag).

EDIT: as kraze said, a vds can hold cod4's maximum supported players.
Not a NFO employee
mikedbom
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by mikedbom »

Awesome. Thanks guys.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

For an unmanaged VDS, you'd start with one IP, and you can add more if you would like. It's not necessary for each server to be on its own IP, so you could run several servers on a single one (you just need to start them on different ports).
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Both managed and unmanaged were talked about in this thread, but to be clear, running a B3 daemon will require an unmanaged server. Managed servers can only have game servers added to them and do not include the access needed to install the B3 daemon.
TimeX
dangioffre
A regular
A regular

Post by dangioffre »

TimeX wrote:Both managed and unmanaged were talked about in this thread, but to be clear, running a B3 daemon will require an unmanaged server. Managed servers can only have game servers added to them and do not include the access needed to install the B3 daemon.
You can host game servers on an unmanaged server. You also host game servers on a managed but you u should go with an unmanaged because u can run the B3 Daemon. :)
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

AND...

I would suggest adding some SSD space, if you plan to run B3. Youll see a huge performance increase in your game server if you do so. Running B3 on your box with your game server can cause some lag issues. I added 15 gigs of SSD space for my MySQL and B3, and the gripes I have gotten about lag spikes have gone away.

Hell my Homefront server (running on NFO VDS) finally got the number one spot on Gametracker. The great performance and no lag, has alot to do with that. I run B3 to manage this server as well.