IT field?

This is used for general discussion that is not necessarily server-related.
crs4380
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

IT field?

Post by crs4380 »

I've been tinkering with VDS/dedi off and on for a few years now. So I wonder if doing everything I can to learn about the latest windows server os and linux or not what would actually help me land a job somewhere involving computers? Just wondering if anyone has actually done this.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: IT field?

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Honestly, best way is to get started somewhere that will hire you for the base knowledge you have. Probably little to no pay, and you only go up from there. I'm now at a manager position with a variety of CompTIA, Microsoft and Linux certs. Schooling now a days is bogus, unless you want to take it to an Engineer standpoint. After 4-5 years I'm in the 65k year CDN, full benefits, 6 weeks vacation, pension, etc.

Hope this helps!
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

It is very possible it could. It heavily depends on the job you're going for though. Some places may be a little uptight about wanting a degree, while others just want someone who knows what they're doing.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

I've found lately most employers would rather see certs than a degree, as certs need updating, degrees do not. Could have someone who has a network engineer degree, but it was done 15 years ago and probably useless now a days. All depends on the field, though.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It definitely depends on the field. When it comes to network or server management, certificates are key. When it comes to software development/software design, a computer science degree will matter more, since they're concerned more with general concepts, general knowledge, general intelligence, and long-term commitment. But, the project list/job list on your resume, and how well you can demonstrate your skills in an interview, matter most.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Good advice given here already. Just to add to it, it seems that something good to keep in mind is where you want to work. There is a general overall situation, but specific jobs may have different requirements. It is good to know where you want to go before you get there, as cheesy as that sounds.
TimeX