Rust server losing progress

K0NFUSION
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Rust server losing progress

Post by K0NFUSION »

Prior to a wipe, I ran the command: "server.saveinterval 60" but then a wipe was done a couple weeks ago after the last update, and I think it may have reset that command. Players on my server lost about 2 days of progress, I tried to make it right but a chunk of players left. Does that command indeed get reset after any wipe? How do you guys prevent your servers from losing progress?

kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Rust server losing progress

Post by kraze »

Try setting this value in your server.cfg so that it is retained on each reboot. Any issued via console generally doesn't get saved after a reboot occurs.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
BillMurray
New to forums
New to forums

Post by BillMurray »

If you do enter any commands like adding/changing moderators or server configs, you can also just type in "server.writecfg" into rcon and it will save.
TX-Deluxe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by TX-Deluxe »

I woukd like to know exactly the process which you guys use to save your server before doing a maintence/performance restart.

Rcon .save?
Then go to control panel and restart?

I'm coming from a different host as of an hour ago.
TX-Deluxe
New to forums
New to forums

Post by TX-Deluxe »

[quote="kraze"]Try setting this value in your server.cfg so that it is retained on each reboot. Any issued via console generally doesn't get saved after a reboot occurs.[/quote

So the server.saveinterval 60 saves every 60 mins correct? When the server gets an automated update and restarts all should be well correct?

So let's say the server is saving every 60 mins. An automated update comes out and restarts the server. The most progress that could be lost is 60 mins correct?

On another host in used to save first then update/restart my server manually.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

We just gracefully shutdown the server through Windows. I think it's Rust that doesn't save on shutdown which is why you'd be seeing lost progress after reboots. I also believe the save interval is done in seconds, not minutes.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
rustcats
New to forums
New to forums

Post by rustcats »

kraze wrote:We just gracefully shutdown the server through Windows. I think it's Rust that doesn't save on shutdown...
Is there a way you can address this on your end? It's frustrating when I have to seriously think about going unmanaged, which I don't want to do, in order to simply update without losing progress. I realize it's rust's fault for not saving on shutdown but it'd be great if you guys could help us out here.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

This is the rcon tool I use and it is fantastic. You can quickly and easily send any rcon command. So use it to save, then shut down your server. It is an extra step that takes an extra 30 seconds to do, but worth it imho.

http://oxidemod.org/resources/rustadmin-rcon-tool.640/
rustcats
New to forums
New to forums

Post by rustcats »

TacTicToe wrote:This is the rcon tool I use and it is fantastic. You can quickly and easily send any rcon command. So use it to save, then shut down your server. It is an extra step that takes an extra 30 seconds to do, but worth it imho.

http://oxidemod.org/resources/rustadmin-rcon-tool.640/

I appreciate the response. I am however specifically referring to when nfoservers pushes a required update at a moments notice on managed game servers. I'm not the one shutting it down.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Ahhh gotcha. Well then a reasonable solution would be to let you do the update yourself instead on them forcing it on you. That way you can do your own save, then click the update button and you're back online.

I run our servers as un-managed, so these things are not an issue. When there is an update, my server just sits there and no one can connect to it till I update the server. After I do a save, my batch file kills the Rust process, updates the server, downloads the latest Oxide and unzips it, then restarts the server. If you decide to take things into your own hands and go un-managed, let me know. I will set you up with the tools and batch file I use. Literally one click, can walk away and come back a minute later and server is re-starting and loading back up.

Very simple process really. 8)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's disappointing to hear that they still haven't fixed this game bug.

Historically, Rust has forced wipes with most of its updates, so this hasn't come up a whole lot.

On the "to do" list for some time now has been a feature to run a command or set of commands on a server prior to shutting it down. That would work to mitigate this bug.

The described workaround of decreasing the save interval should help in the meantime. There shouldn't be harm in making it lower.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

The Rust force wipes typically happens once a month when there is a *major* update to the game. In between are smaller incremental updates for quick hot fixes which are probably triggering the updates he is complaining about.

Why cant you just set it up so that they have an option to trigger the update themselves? The only thing that happens is there is a protocol difference that keeps people from seeing your server or being able to connect. The admin can come in and send an rcon command to save the world and trigger the update themselves, at their leisure.

I would think that would be fairly easy to implement on your end.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

TacTicToe, because installs here are linked to a base for performance reasons. It's one of the differentiators that has made (and kept) us the highest-performing GSP.
rustcats
New to forums
New to forums

Post by rustcats »

@Edge100x: My other issue is the server gets patched before the client update is even released. Players twiddle their thumbs for ~10 - 20 mins waiting for the client update. So I'm caught between managed and unmanaged. I like that managed will auto restart my server if it crashes but the update procedure drives me nuts. If I go unmanaged, running the provided batch file is easy enough. My problem then becomes how do I make sure the batch file will properly restart the server in the event of a crash? I've read the batch file can hang - never fully closing and preventing a restart.

Is my choice really down to accepting the procedure and staying managed or go unmanaged and commission someone to write a monitoring service program to check whether the server is responding or not, then restarting if necessary? Oxide is not an option as I want to stay unmodded. There has to be a better way that I'm not seeing.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

"Rust (with all optional updates)" servers get updated with every update that is released, when it's released by the developer (they determine the timing).

Normal "Rust" servers get updated manually, by us, after we confirm that the client update has been released.

You can change the type of server that you have through the order page here: https://www.nfoservers.com/order.php