Why can't I overwrite many of the files on my server?

Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Why can't I overwrite many of the files on my server?

Post by Nick|NFo »

Most of the files on your server (including the maps) that are not used to store configuration information are hardlinked to a base server directory, as they are for our other servers on your machine. Because the files are not in different physical places on the drive, the RAM on the machine only needs to cache the base files, and levels load much more quickly than if each server had its own full install.

We can't allow you to do an in-place edit the hardlinked files -- if we did, then a renter could change the original copy of the file and cause other servers on the machine to behave strangely. But, you delete any default files and then replace them, if you wish, through the FTP. You an also unlock or delete a file or set of files is through the File unlock tool on the "Server control" page of your control panel.

Please keep in mind that most of the time it is not a good idea to replace default files, because many games check these files against each client's and most clients will have the default versions. You will also have to repeat the replacement process if our system has to move you to a different machine or run a repair on your server.
-Nick