Sometimes we may ask for MTR results to help troubleshoot a problem. In simple terms it runs a tracert continuously to see results over time and possibly identify sources of packet loss.
To run an MTR, follow these steps:
1. Temporarily disable any firewall that you may be running.
2. Download WinMTR here.
3. Open the winmtr_bin.zip file that downloads and place the "winmtr_bin_xxx" folder inside of it in a location of your choice.
4. Go inside the "winmtr_bin_xxx" folder, and within that the WinMTR folder corresponding to your OS bit-ness level, and double click on the WinMTR.exe file (on Windows Vista/7, right-click it and select "Run as administrator" instead). This will open the program and you should see this screen:
5. Generally its best to leave the options set the way they are for testing purposes. In the "Host" field at the top, type in the IP or address to the server you are testing without the port number (such as atlanta.nuclearfallout.net or 126.96.36.199) and then click the "Start" button. You should see a screen like this:
6. Leave it running for 500-1000 tests, and, if possible, join the server you are testing until you notice some problems (leaving it running won't cause any added lag). After this, click the "Stop" button.
7. Next, click the "Copy Text to clipboard" button on the far left, and then either paste it in to an email or in to the Help! system to send to us. After that you can click on the "Exit" button, or just click the X in the upper right corner to close the program.
1 post • Page 1 of 1