I should do this again...

Had a good experience with our servers? Congratulate us here!
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

I should do this again...

Post by rlm850 »

Alright, let me take this from the wee back years ago.

In 2007 I was just getting into game server hosting. An RPG breakfloor server inspired me to get one running. My first host was counter-strike.com - but I had absolutely not a fucking clue what to do when I logged into the control panel. Then right about when the subscription was ending, I finally figured out what I needed to do after looking at a ton of tutorials, and all went well, until it took hours, sometimes days for support techs to respond. I gave up with that.

My next host was ArtofWarCentral - every single one of us reading this post knows how that went. My first service from them was a Counter-Strike: Source "BOOSTED" servers. Boosted my fucking ass, maybe boosted as in placed on a core on one of their servers that has the most servers on it. I received shitty to absolutely zero support on that one. And their entire control panel is fucked up. They have their own control panel, then TCAdmin. They allow support tickets through their control panel, which barely, BARELY works. Everytime you reply to a support ticket, it duplicates itself, and every single one of their support members is arrogant enough and locks the ticket just because you double posted in it. Give me a fucking break.

I then figured, hell, game servers aren't working for me. Lets try a dedicated server. So I buy their P4 (yes, a P4). I mean, hell, it was only $80. Or was it? I got charged $102. They didn't install TCAdmin correctly, and it would take forever to receive support on it, because "deadhart" was fiddling with his genitals being it's the weekend. So we finally get TCAdmin up and running again, and I setup just one CSS server after watching the tutorials. 30 choke and 5 loss. Not bad for a server with nothing running on it, right? I plead to them that it's the only server on the machine and there's something wrong with it. But no, I get "keep in mind it is a P4, it can't handle a game server". YOU'RE SELLING IT ON YOUR WEBSITE, WHICH IS A GAME SERVER PROVIDER. I can understand, yes, it is a P4, but it can handle definitely one server with an addon. Worst experience in my life. So I gave up without even a week passing on that, and handed out free L4D servers to everyone when it first came out. 30 L4D servers, a P4, and they all ran without an issue. Talk about what the fuck? Yes.

That was the last I ever made business with NFo.

I then joined a clan after getting my steam account back and we bought an i7 920 from gigenet. I can't really rant much about this one, because there was a middleman, but we got free IPs when we would be paying for them. I think we had /27 routing when we should've had /29, I'm not sure. Things ran fine, but it was very overpriced for the config, and we had to shut it down. $275 a month. I could've bought a 5520 at that time. for $30 less.

After leaving the clan, I then came across a community called USBDT. I was aware they were renting their game servers from NFo, and after viewing the NFo website, I was literally like "wow, where have I gone wrong searching"? But as many say, of course, NFo is a bit pricey, but you're making the best decision of your life ordering from NFo. So I was going to use them as my referrer and order a game server, but I didn't, and boy was that a mistake.

I continued my dedicated server rampage by then ordering from ubiquityservers.com -- now, I can't rant much about them, but my first server was a Dual E5520 from them. I can tell you right off the bat, that you can feel it's a bargain server on a bargain network. I will say the 55% off deal is a good start though for anyone desperately looking for a server in this case. The E5520 ran for a single month, as a friend and myself were going to start a GSP. Yet again, another mistake, never go into business directly with someone else. So that server went down, I wasn't paying $350 a month for a server that I had no use for.

I then finally made my move to NFo. I started with a one core virtual, and I was very happy with it. It satisfied all of my needs, regardless of how small it was. (<-- was that sentence fucked up or is it just me?) I didn't stay for too long, but in my first month as a customer, I can tell you right off the bat, you're literally making the next big step in your life by choosing them. They're friendly, honest, and fast. I could e-mail and get a response in less than an hour, sometimes even 30 minutes. I contacted support about so many different things I can't even begin to tell you how much I already loved NFo from the start. I actually felt like I was a little kid again annoying the shit out of someone, because John and I went back and forth talking just about everything a moderate server owner would. What makes me happy the most is the fact that he doesn't only answer it from his computer, he answers it from his god damn phone too. Hell, John, if you have a Bold 9700, that makes me even more happier.

I will admit I got kind of bored where things were going with what I was doing at the time, was going back to the GSP scheme and ordered an X3460 from ubiquityservers.com instead of nfoservers.com, just because there was no control panel pre-install feature. I went very wrong with that one. I try going for whatever costs me less than $200 a month and won't go down every 5 seconds, learning from past experiences and has the fastest setup time. I don't like downtime. And after realizing the setup time and downtime of an NFo VDS is about 2%-absolutely none, I'm finally here, back again, and couldn't be more happy. Even my clan is happy. Everyone can really tell the different between the registration and performance. Even their pings are low, and people all the way in the upper west coast of canada still have ~80 ping. That's one of the main things we all care about, our pings and registration. I have a 3 core VDS in NY with win2k3, and it's much better than the X3460 in Chicago with win2k8.

Is that enough? :roll:
rlm850
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: I should do this again...

Post by rlm850 »

I just lol'd. I download a 890MB file just now in less than 2milliseconds. I'm not kidding.