Why would you pick anyone else?

Had a good experience with our servers? Congratulate us here!
dawnofviolence
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Why would you pick anyone else?

Post by dawnofviolence »

Nfo is hands down the best in what they do. Ive had them for a little while now and i can completely say i have not had 1 issue with them. People join my servers and are so impressed on how they run they cancel there server from whatever other company and go straight here. If you want the best Customer Support, Best Running Servers, and All around good experience go get a server from these guys now. Since first starting with these guys ive only grown with them. Starting from a few servers to have over 12. I wouldnt choose any other company. Great work guys keep it up
DoVGaming.net CSS COMMUNITY POWERED BY NFOSERVERS.COM
dawnofviolence
A regular
A regular

Re: Why would you pick anyone else?

Post by dawnofviolence »

sorry for the double post couldnt find the edit.

But i must say i am sad NFO doesnt host websites in other places other then Seattle. I host another website with another company and it takes them hours if not a day to get back to me. NFO takes probly less then 5min. Sure wish edge would put webhosting in other states like dallas COUGH COUGH.

all in all nfo is still the best out there.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

For the most part, shared hosting location is not a huge issue. Whether you get 30 ping or 90 to a website, it really doesn't matter all that much. The page might load a half a second faster (if that even), but you rarely won't even notice the difference. I can load pages in europe almost as quickly as anywhere in Canada or the US. Never really gotten why people care where their shared hosting is, besides possibly price difference in a difference country. Even uploading or download files really won't matter either if it's a good host, unless it's a bigger size file. I can usually download from Europe at descent speeds as well.

Anyways, would you be able to explain to my why you need your shared hosting in a specific place in the US? Websites aren't latency related like game servers or voice servers, so what is wrong with your hosting being in Seattle?
dawnofviolence
A regular
A regular

Post by dawnofviolence »

has to do with some mysql issues with my plugins its not a big just makes it harder to do more things via mysql that require a constant que. The website works fine also has to do with downloading maps etc from servers. Obviously it will take longer to dl a map from seattle then from dallas if your on the east coast from what ive seen, but i could be mistaken.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Downloading files from Seattle or Dallas will be nearly the same, especially on NFO's network. They run Internap at every location, which is a high end backbone provider. In my own personal tests, Internap has thee best peering out of any other provider in the states. Now as far as fast download via http, your clients won't even know or care where the maps are being downloaded from. They should be able to download just as fast from Seattle as Dallas. I used to run my gameservers off a VDS in Seattle and had shared hosting in Chicago for my fast download and it didn't matter. Maps downloaded just as fast. Mysql does like a quick response, but same thing, it won't matter. Should have no issues with it being in Seattle vs Dallas. Only thing that could possibly affect that is your own home connection. If it's having serious packet loss, bad routes, etc.
dawnofviolence
A regular
A regular

Post by dawnofviolence »

it actually does make a difference on the mysql end we did a quick test and the amount of lag given when opening up the plugins custom menu is less when the db is in dallas as opposed to settle this is in no way a flame just an observation. I still use nfo webhosting for all my other stuff and love there great servers and support
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

It does not make a big enough difference to really worry about. I'm not flaming, just curious as I've seen this issue over location for shared hosting come up a few times. I've done my own tests as it really isn't a big deal where it is for using shared hosting.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

I would have to agree with dawnofviolence on this one based on our experience. When a game server is using plugins that connect to a remote database, many of them (perhaps all?) will cause the entire server to hang for the very short delay that it takes the SQL server to respond. While this is minimal, any connection issues that come between the game server and database server will also translate to game server skips, up and including the game server being down if the SQL server cannot be reached.

It is why we recommend people use an internal database on their game servers if possible, or a remote database as close to the game server as possible if it needs to be remote. For all other purposes, rustydusty1717 is correct that distance has little effect.
TimeX
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

If you are talking about say Psychostats and updating a mysql database, I've done it remotely with no issues. It would update only once a day to, and was for a 26 slot 1.6 server that was packed day and night. I can see distance being an issue for something things I suppose, however distance shouldn't matter too much, unless the distance is different continent's. I'm located at central Canada and have hosted in Chicago and Seattle with no issues and my shared was in Chicago at one point, while the VDS was in Seattle. So I guess some applications would be best closest together, however with the quality of NFO servers and network, I wouldn't worry too much. On a lower class quality of hardware and network, you would most definitely run into issues. On most hosts i've used beside NFO that were lower to medium class, there was issues period.
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

Also, Psychostats can be setup on the physical machine, and then have your website redirect to the IP of the machine. Then the database updates are on the physical machine. If you are renting a VDS or dedicated server, you are better off running everything on it locally anyways.
TimeX
Staff
Staff

Post by TimeX »

Distance itself is not the only issue in that case, farther distance also means more risk of problems between networks. I do agree with your example though, since it is connecting only once a day. I was referring to mods/plugins that have a more constant connection to the database when I made my previous post.

It is not an absolute that such conditions will cause a problem and many of our customers use a setup like this with no problems, but the risk is increased.
TimeX
rustydusty1717
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by rustydusty1717 »

There's always a risk for everything :wink: .
dawnofviolence
A regular
A regular

Post by dawnofviolence »

the problem we were having was the plugin is in constant use when a player types the command !shop or !store it opens the db containing a menu with items the player has/doesnt have/and cant be bought. Then it allows the to navigate the menu to select the item they want. We fixed it with a simple array to only make the menu load on player entry to prevent the issue. Like time said not a big issue but there is server delay.