Question about Red Orchestra 2 on a managed VDS

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
deadbait
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Question about Red Orchestra 2 on a managed VDS

Post by deadbait »

Hello,

I am running a managed VDS here with NFO, and its been great, but I was looking to run a RO2 server on my VDS. I just want to make sure that my understanding of RO2 on a NFO VDs is correct. My thinking is RO2 is capped at a 32 slot servers, and that there is no additional cost to setting one up on my VDS, like the BF series...

Am I correct in my thinking?

Thanks
Spray
Former staff
Former staff

Re: Question about Red Orchestra 2 on a managed VDS

Post by Spray »

We don't cap RO2 to a specific slot count, we just highly recommend against going above 48 slots on a VDS. 32 will certainly be a sweet spot for performance, if you intend on running mutators for the game or adding custom content.

There is no fee involved for RO2 on a VDS, that would only apply to running a few, select EA partner titles. We have more information about this, linked here: http://www.nfoservers.com/forums/viewto ... =51&t=5705
J-English
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by J-English »

I run 2 red orchestra 2 servers...RS/RO2 both are 64 player slots...sometimes i do reach around 40 odd players and the rest are bots....seems to run fine on my vds.if your just running RO2 X2 you should be fine on a managed vds.
deadbait
New to forums
New to forums

Post by deadbait »

Thanks you 2 for the replies, the only reason I said anything about the caps, is because this is on the VDS order page:
BF3, BF4, and RO2 have size caps on a managed VDS
and that quote is the reason I asked about the additional charges..

Thanks again for the info
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

Spray misremembered there, and you were right that the recommended size cap is 32 for RO2/RS.

We don't enforce this currently, and it's unlikely that we will enforce it in the future, so you can try more if you wish.

The reason for the warning is that Unreal Engine 3 games have historically performed poorly when virtualized, likely due to excessive context switches. However, I believe that later changes to Xen significantly improved the situation.
deadbait
New to forums
New to forums

Post by deadbait »

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

If I do start a server it probably won't top the 32 slots, but its good to know its available.