Half Life game setup

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
newguy
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Half Life game setup

Post by newguy »

I am thinking of setting up a half life (v1) server and I don't see a "how to" post or document. If there is a document that explains the below please put it in a reply.

1_ Do I need to set up the server as a HLDM server and then do something to make it work as a standard half-life game server?
2_ Am I limited to only games that are on NFO? Probably not a problem as I would only want about 10 maps and would be fairly popular.
3_ If I do have to use maps that are on an NFO list, can I modify them so that I can remove some of the weapons?

Thanks
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: Half Life game setup

Post by soja »

You mean you want to play the singleplayer maps, but in a sort of coop mode?

This is possible for HL2, but only using a mod like synergy. Maybe you can use the maps from Half Life:Source or black mesa source, and then use synergy to play them.

As for servers NFO provides, if it isn't on the list, you probably can't run it. In theory you could order a game like hl2dm and change the -game flag in the command line to run a custom mod, but that would be up to NFO if they want to change.

Synergy isn't a terribly popular mod atm, so the chance of getting support at NFO is close to none. You could order an unmanaged VDS and set up the server manually if you know what you are doing.
Not a NFO employee
newguy
New to forums
New to forums

Post by newguy »

Thanks for the reply.

I mean I want to run a server so it is multiplayer but I want to remove the tau and gluon so it is more skill/strategy than shooting a wall.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Not sure I understand, are you trying to play the campaign in multiplayer?
Not a NFO employee
newguy
New to forums
New to forums

Post by newguy »

I want to set up a server to play multiplayer against humans who think. So a normal game server I think. My addition to that is that I don't want to play against humans that think tau-ing a wall or using a gluon is cool, a challenge, etc.

I like Half Life v1 and I like to play with people that view it more like chess than <Neanderthal>Me crush things. Ugh.</Neanderthal>
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Ok i see, it sounds like the regular Half-Life: Deathmatch server would suit you best. You could possibly use an amx plugin to restrict weapons in-game, but you would need to search that yourself. Here is a searchable list of amx plugins: http://www.amxmodx.org/compiler.php
Not a NFO employee
newguy
New to forums
New to forums

Post by newguy »

Thank you for your replies and suggestion.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I just saw I did not fully answer your questions in the OP.

You can add any custom maps for HL:DM that you want, here is a list on gamebanana: http://hl.gamebanana.com/maps/cats/375
Not a NFO employee