ARMA 3 Disk I/O

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ARMA 3 Disk I/O

Post by soja »

Does ARMA 3 significantly benefit from SSD? We have 2 windows machines, 1 with SSD and the other with HDD. Would moving our ARMA 3 server over to the SSD machine have noticeable improvement?

We haven't launched the server yet, so I wouldn't have anything to compare if we moved it now.
Not a NFO employee
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: ARMA 3 Disk I/O

Post by kraze »

It wouldn't benefit enough to have a performance impact. However, any type of database for the server should be on an SSD.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

Thanks for the info!
Not a NFO employee
Caliban55
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Caliban55 »

ArmA 3 usually does not require frequent disk access, as long as the mission author did not include function that need constant compiling - even then, this is fairly OK.

To increase performance, you can try to launch the server with the -enableHT parameter, which will enforce the use of using hyperthreading cores (actually did not have much, if any perfromance inprovment when I tested it, but this may vary from mission to mission and actual server VPS, full dedicated).