NS2: Combat support please.

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
Baron
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

NS2: Combat support please.

Post by Baron »

I would like to see NS2: Combat added to the supported games. It comes out October 31.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310110
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Re: NS2: Combat support please.

Post by TacTicToe »

That looks cool! Will definitely have a server online when it releases.

For those who are wondering like I was, the difference between this and NS2. This is basically NS2 without the commanders. Human vs Alien. Looks like ti could be alot of fun. Hopefully less of a learning curve than NS2 which will being in more players.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I don't see a price, will this be free for people that already have NS2?
Not a NFO employee
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

soja wrote:I don't see a price, will this be free for people that already have NS2?
No, this game is not free for NS2 owners.
Combat is to NS2 as Half-Life 2 is to Counter-Strike: Source, or DayZ is to ARMA III.

NS2: Combat looks like NS2 because it exists in the Natural Selection universe. Think of it like Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation. It uses the same engine and many assets from NS2, but the SPARK engine in specific has been gutted in many ways to allow Combat to be something more than just a mod. We've created additional lore in the game so you can understand what's been happening in the time period between NS2 and Combat.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/310110/di ... 121253870/
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Unconfirmed $14.99 at release date.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

This will depend on how they do dedicated servers. If it runs off the same engine, supports the same command line arguments and has similar resource requirements it should be a pretty simple process.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Same engine, but modified. Still trying to get server info, but the devs dont seem to be replying. I am guessing it is crunch time for them and they are scrambling to get things completed before release date.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

A little more info dribbling out...
The appid for the dedicated server is 313900. Our recommended player limit is 20, though Combat supports up to 24. Ranked matches will be 8v8.

We've actually talked with Ghoul from the Shine crew, and it would take a long time to get something like Shine working with Combat. The way Shine is developed requires lots of hooks into NS2, which is really cool because it allows Shine to function better, and break less. Combat does not share many of the same functions NS2 does so it would be a tough task to redevelop Shine fo Combat. It's not impossible, but I think we're looking more into creating a more robust admin system for Combat after launch.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

TacTicToe wrote:A little more info dribbling out...
The appid for the dedicated server is 313900. Our recommended player limit is 20, though Combat supports up to 24. Ranked matches will be 8v8.

We've actually talked with Ghoul from the Shine crew, and it would take a long time to get something like Shine working with Combat. The way Shine is developed requires lots of hooks into NS2, which is really cool because it allows Shine to function better, and break less. Combat does not share many of the same functions NS2 does so it would be a tough task to redevelop Shine fo Combat. It's not impossible, but I think we're looking more into creating a more robust admin system for Combat after launch.
Still no confirmation on costs though.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

$15 is the price tag, according to the devs.

They have modified the game engine to be much more optimized than the original game.

Game will go on sale release day (which makes no sense to me)

They will have clan packs available for purchase.

20 slots is what they recommend for a server, though they said 24 is the max.

No in game admin mods as of release, but there will be the web interface for admin'ing like NS2 has.

Will post more as I learn more. Game looks like it will be a ton of fun!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

I just got confirmation from one of the dev's. If you wish to run your own server, you can do so, but it will be unranked. If you want a ranked server, you have to purchase a server from them, or one of their designated RSP's. The RSP positions are still being looked into. I told them I was going to mention it here to see if NFO was interested in becoming an RSP for NS2 Combat.

PR guy
http://steamcommunity.com/id/dmdrusty

Dev
http://steamcommunity.com/id/acid_rain
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I don't see why we wouldn't want to be. Definitely let him know we'd like more information and they are more than welcome to reach out to us.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Just sent Acid Rain a pm on steam with a link to this thread and the support email address. Hopefully it happens.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Post by kraze »

I was able to make contact with PR guy you mentioned above. After a conversation on Steam he's going to be emailing me some information.
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Acid Rain pm'ed me last night and told me NFO would be hosting the ranked Combat servers.

Sweet. 8)