ARK: Survival Evolved

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

ARK: Survival Evolved

Post by j0rd0n420 »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110
You guys add early access games if they have IP binding?
YourMomSE
New to forums
New to forums

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved

Post by YourMomSE »

Im actually really hoping that NFO has support for this lol. I love my virtual managed machine, but there are so many new titles doing early access that I can't host here at nfo like rust. And the servers I do run here at NFO are a million times better and easier to run than the servers I have hosted other places, so like I said hopefully they will have Ark support ;)
j0rd0n420
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by j0rd0n420 »

A developer said this earlier today:
Drake [developer] 4 hours ago
Immediately on Day-1 you'll be able to host your own servers wherever you'd like. You don't even need to own the game on Steam to host a dedicated server -- our little applet supports anonymous downloads of the server content :)
YourMomSE
New to forums
New to forums

Post by YourMomSE »

I saw that as well. Only issue is whether NFO will support it or not. You can run anything you want on an unmanaged machine, but for managed like me, it all depends. I know they are strict about alpha games here, and I understand why.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

Simple solution, go to unmanaged. :)
YourMomSE
New to forums
New to forums

Post by YourMomSE »

True that is the simple solution. I really like the features managed has though. The automatic updating of everything is great, as I do not have the time always to make sure everything is updated. But that's the gain vs the loss :). The gaming community I am working on is starting to make progress so maybe I will rent an unmanaged machine as well for the ability to run all the new games as they come out.

Question if you don't mind, do you have an unmanaged machine?
if so:
How much maintainance time do you end up with?
How much time did you spend setting up everything?
How much time does it take to setup a new server on unmanaged? (on managed its instant but again your limited to the nfo selection)

I have the ability to do it, I just don't know how much time it will take to set everything up and then keep everything going and updated. If I go with this machine type I guess I could even just move my webhosting over to it as well. Just really curious on how much work I would be looking at.
Krimson
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Krimson »

Any update on this? I am thinking of getting a dedicated machine, but like the idea of managed servers just because I don't have a ton of time to constantly be updating games and such when a patch comes out. I can go unmanaged if I have to but I was just hoping for some kinda update on this before making that jump.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

I doubt NFO will support ARK in 2015. They are releasing tons of patches, and the resource usage is insane compared to most game servers.
Not a NFO employee
Krimson
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Krimson »

I understand that the resources are high right now, but I don't really see why that would stop them from hosting it. I would imagine they do like they do with the VDSes and Dedicated servers where you start paying so much for the server, and then they lower the cost as it becomes more optimized.

I guess unmanaged is the way to go, anybody have this setup on a VDS yet? Trying to decide between that and a dedicated server, I know VDSes just don't agree with some games.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

This game currently uses about a full core and 5GB ram with 5+ players. I wouldn't recommend running this on a VDS due to its requirement of very fast single cores. It is doable, but you may notice some lag. I currently run three ARK servers on an unmanaged dedi with the E3-1271v3 CPU.
Not a NFO employee
Zimnick
New to forums
New to forums

Post by Zimnick »

soja wrote:This game currently uses about a full core and 5GB ram with 5+ players. I wouldn't recommend running this on a VDS due to its requirement of very fast single cores. It is doable, but you may notice some lag. I currently run three ARK servers on an unmanaged dedi with the E3-1271v3 CPU.
Thankfully tonight's patch is set to massively reduce the resource usage of servers! From the patch notes on Steam:
- Massive Server Perf Improvement / PhysX Bug fix: no more super-slow servers
- 2GB+ RAM reduction for servers, ~1GB RAM reduction for clients. Will come tonight with 180. It's coming to be about 2.5 GB saved off most servers -- and ~1GB saved on clients, basically we've converted all our foliage structures to use data primitive types rather than "Objects" :)
And yes, I registered for the forums just to share this haha. I will most likely be renting an unmanaged server from NFO if this pans out. I'm currently running it on my home computer so I'll be able to monitor the resource drop first hand and see if it's feasible/cost effective.
soja
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by soja »

That still leaves roughly 3GB ram used for an idle server. If NFO does end up offering this, expect it to be quite costly(if you're not on managed). Even the budget hosting providers raised the cost per slot quite a bit for this game.
Not a NFO employee
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

I will be looking into adding this to the shared system. Lower memory usage would make a difference in the price, definitely.
TacTicToe
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by TacTicToe »

v 1.80 was just released. Servers boots up at 2.4 gigs of RAM and 1% CPU usage at idle. That is HUGE performance boost. Now lets see how it does with some players online.
YourMomSE
New to forums
New to forums

Post by YourMomSE »

Honestly I have been running my server since release. And as much as I would like to see NFO take this to managed, so that I can move my servers to managed, the ram usage is still sketchy. They have released fixes for memory leak issues, but I still think there are some issues to be fixed. I monitor my machine all day, and recently still I have seen the ram usage spike up over 3 gigs to 3.5 gigs for each of my two servers. I still don't know if the game is there yet for a managed platform.