Help a newb with SQL!

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
SippyCup
New to forums
New to forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Help a newb with SQL!

Post by SippyCup »

I'm totally new at SQL and PHP. I don't even know how to log into the MySQL account. Can someone tell me? :( I have the password and everything.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

MySQL isn't something you would generally log into directly. Rather, it is an engine used behind-the-covers by certain applications that you might install on the webserver, such as phpBB or PHPNuke.
metro
Staff
Staff

Post by metro »

You might want to check out PHPMyAdmin. You can install it into your webspace to make changes to the MySQL databases but if you don't know what you are doing then it can cause more harm than good. Like John said, MySQL is a backend engine that helps power some web applications and work alongside them. It is easy to break it if not organized and administrated properly. Some web applications do not offer install wizards to integrate into MySQL, so this is where PHPMyAdmin comes into play.

You should research what you plan on doing that requires MySQL because you may or may not have to actually make changes to the database with any tools other than install wizards that come with certain scripts.
metro @ [url=irc://irc.gamesurge.net/nfo-support]#nfo-support[/url]
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing it's idiot...
SippyCup
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SippyCup »

I'm taking advantage of this opportunity to learn some more about MySQL and PHP. I'm just trying to learn what all I can do with it. I tried using PHP's odbc_connect(), but I got an error telling me that odbc_connect is not defined. Does that mean a DSN hasn't been set up or something?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

ODBC is Windows-specific and not used on our webserver.
SippyCup
New to forums
New to forums

Post by SippyCup »

Yeah, I was afraid of that. :wink: Oh well. Is anyone else really put out with phpMyAdmin's original config file? At least in notepad it looks like crap.
Nick|NFo
Former staff
Former staff

Post by Nick|NFo »

SippyCup wrote:Yeah, I was afraid of that. :wink: Oh well. Is anyone else really put out with phpMyAdmin's original config file? At least in notepad it looks like crap.
try opening it with wordpad, probably formatted for that
-Nick