How To Automatically Receive Game Update Notes?

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
gamemann
A regular
A regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

How To Automatically Receive Game Update Notes?

Post by gamemann »

Hello everybody, I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I am looking into making a PHP page that receives game update notes. For example, if a CS:GO update is released, I want to automatically receive the update notes and post them on my website (once per update).

Currently, I believe I can pull these updates from individual websites (e.g. CS:GO, TF2, etc). Although, it would be much easier if there was a dedicated XML/JSON page for most game updates.

The other issue I have is I'm not sure how to identify each update. For example, there is no unique key. I can't use the title or date (it isn't a time stamp) since sometimes multiple updates have the same title or date.

If I can find a way to generate an unique key per update, I'm sure I can figure out the rest.

Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
kraze
Former staff
Former staff

Re: How To Automatically Receive Game Update Notes?

Post by kraze »

This is actually a tough one as most developers don't follow a specific formula to game updating, which means everyone does something a little bit different. Specifically, game developers all have different ways/places of announcing game updates, and some don't even post patch notes. It's only gets more complicated when they push silent updates, rollback updates and even screw up the version numbers on updates. I've also yet to see an XML/JSON formatted page for updates.
@Kraze^NFo> Juski has a very valid point
@Juski> Got my new signature, thanks!
@Kraze^NFo> Out of context!
@Juski> Doesn't matter!
@Juski> You said I had a valid point! You can't take it back now! It's out there!
gamemann
A regular
A regular

Re: How To Automatically Receive Game Update Notes?

Post by gamemann »

kraze wrote:This is actually a tough one as most developers don't follow a specific formula to game updating, which means everyone does something a little bit different. Specifically, game developers all have different ways/places of announcing game updates, and some don't even post patch notes. It's only gets more complicated when they push silent updates, rollback updates and even screw up the version numbers on updates. I've also yet to see an XML/JSON formatted page for updates.
Ah, that's unfortunate :(

I guess there's no official place for game updates (let alone an official XML/JSON formatted page). That said, you're right about silent updates, etc.

I wonder if SteamDB.info has an API that could be used. Although, I'm not sure how to determine if an update is actually released there or not. That said, SteamDB doesn't have any release notes either.

I will look around and see if I can find anything stable. I will post here again if I do.

Thanks.