Control Panel Feature Request

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

Control Panel Feature Request

Post by FlyingMongoose »

May not be a request but just a question, is there plans to implement a log viewwer? (I know this stuff isn't high priority, but it could be useful to the renters in the long run!)

I know there's plenty of software out there that does this, but I wouldn't mind a web based one (for work and class ;), not suppose to put personal software on those machines )
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

Definitely high on my list of features needed. I don't like to give FTP access to the server to others, yet need others to be able to scan logs for information.

-e
bOoya
Former staff
Former staff

Post by bOoya »

Do you guys have HL1/HL2 servers? Because the server control page already streams logs for those types of servers.
We might add more functionality to this page in the future. First step is letting us know what you would like to see out of it.
eLectrix
Compulsive poster
Compulsive poster

Post by eLectrix »

for me bf1942
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Just a straight web based log viewwer (non streaming, one that allows web based (possibly searchable) viewwing of past logs, basic setup as follows....

Filename | Date | Time
1. Filename | Date | Time
2. Filename | Date | Time

When you click on the row (the above would basically be a table, where everything but header would be replaced w/ proper information and it'd open up that specific log.

I wouldn't mind seeing highlights for specific things in the logs, like admin commands being executed could be red, the green could be chat, plugin load stuff could be gray, etc etc.

(this is HL2 and the HL2 logs are very similar to HL1)

I know, like I said, there are downloadable HL1 and HL2 log viewwer applications, however, my school and work both look down upon installing personal software so if people message me or ask me why they were banned and stuff like that, it'd be a lot easier on me to look through this instead of try to hide an application at work or school, lol.

Basically just havei t read the text from the .log files and throw it up on the screen (even uneditable would be fine, besides, I don't like accidentally screwwing up log files)
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I think that's a good breakdown, this could be just one more feature NFO can offer that other hosts don't ;) one of the many. A nice, clean, powerful, log viewwer.
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That is a good idea. We will add it to our "to do" list.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

I'm fairly certain this can be applied (to a point) on every type of game server certain things would be a little different, but not much.

Thanks NFO for taking this into serious consideration :)

Also, make sure you don't include the currently running log (this will probably cause problems, but it could be tested...)

And like I said before, it'd be useful to have it searchable, either from within the individual file, or through all the files.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Oh and if there's any way I could beta test this I'd be more than happy to ;) I also wouldn't mind updates on it's progress ;), once you guys get around to it anyway. If no beta test that's fine, I just would really like to see this, lol.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Had another idea for this system, the idea is to link the Events log to a corresponding system log.

So say you got a server crash that the user wasn't there to see, the event log could link to the last 1 or 2 server log files created, or ended (sometimes for some reason SRCDS and HLDS makes 2 on mapchanges.)

Just making suggestions to make this tool even more powerful and useful ;)
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

That could be useful, at least for Steam-based servers.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

More Ideas From Me!

Well I enjoy chatting through the rcon tool of the server I administrate, it would be useful to me to filter out all *but* the chat, also have a function (say a dropdown) that can place "say" in front of the command. It can have other commands, and stuff like that...hell make this such a powerful tool no one will WANT HLSW...lol...anyway the "easy chat" function is really all...I chat a lot when I can...so...if it could be added it'd be awesome.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

Any comments on this last idea?
Edge100x
Founder
Founder

Post by Edge100x »

It's a good idea.

We have a lot of other things we're working on though ;). Since the rcon tool is relatively stable and bug free right now, we have been working on some other projects.
FlyingMongoose
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by FlyingMongoose »

K :) understand you're busy was just wondering what you guys think.