copyrites and plagerism

Use this forum if you have a relatively general question or comment about a game, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Murmur/Mumble server with us. If you have a server-specific question that might not help out the community, please directly contact us through your control panel instead.
HelterSkelter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40BgXanDqOYoVCYFDSTfHA

copyrites and plagerism

Post by HelterSkelter »

Im posting this here, simply because AHP cannot delete it! Since thier server is hosted by NF, maybe they will take notice.
Yesterday I visited thier website and read a post about them removing the copyrites from phpbb, ez-portal, the template Ti2000, and the template FI Black3d. I looked around and sure enough they have replaced all the authors/developers copyrite info with "Powered by After Hours Club" This afternoon, I checked to see how they would respond. They responded by deleteing the post! This post was made by the author of one of these products. I myself am a template designer, so this pissed me off. These guys could not even figure out how to add the portal to Ti2000, which is why they used FI Black3d, as it required no thought. It is websights like thiers that cause good designers to quite making good free templates and software.

If you look at the bottom of thousands of phpbb forums you will see in the footer "FI Theme". It is a link to forumimages.com. The webmaster/owner of forumimages.com closed up shop and stopped making templates for this very reason. The current forumimages.com is not related to the original.

ok, rant over.

http://ahp.nuclearfallout.net
Vampire Hunter X
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by Vampire Hunter X »

So basically what your saying is that AHP is giving no credit to the authors of the web templates and claiming that they had made the templates themselves and removed the names and copyright license from the template itself in order to make it look like AHP had made the template?
HelterSkelter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by HelterSkelter »

yes, and phpbb and the portal, but the most disturbing thing was that when the authour of one of them posted that he was upset, AHP deleted the post and made no reply
Devilman
New to forums
New to forums

Misunderstandings

Post by Devilman »

Hi HelterSkelter,

There have been a few misunderstandings about the whole situation, and did not think it would lead to these problems, although I can understand your concern about not stating phpbb and the themer's site and I will change the forums to state "Powered by PHPBB - modified FI black 3d". With a link pointing back to their site.
Yesterday I visited thier website and read a post about them removing the copyrites from phpbb, ez-portal, the template Ti2000, and the template FI Black3d. I looked around and sure enough they have replaced all the authors/developers copyrite info with "Powered by After Hours Club"
So onto explaining the reasoning of doing these actions. As I would assume you have used PHPBB quite a bit and may even be a web developer, so you should know of phpbb's history. These being that they have had quite a few exploits in the past, and the main way of finding exploitable servers is to perform a search string on popular search engines for the version of the exploitable pages. These being pages that kiddy scripters are quite easy to get to and have been widely publicised. Although absurdity is not security, it still offers a bit of protection from people helplessly wanting to see if things work on websites.

Example pages describing these type of search strings:
http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/index.php? ... nt&id=1337
http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/index.php? ... nt&id=1160
http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/index.php? ... ent&id=869

They responded by deleting the post!
Your post was not deleted, it was merely moved into the correct area of the forums, although I could see how it could of been believed it might of been deleted, since it was not a shadow move.

These guys could not even figure out how to add the portal to Ti2000, which is why they used FI Black3d, as it required no thought.
Thanks, but no. The portal was played with, although back in the day security wise it was not designed well, although seems to be a bitter better now, so alternatives were looked at.

Thanks for bring up these issues and we would be happy to fix any type of problems you bring up again, although please post to the admins of the site first. We would of resolved this problem quickly either way this was reported.

Thanks,
Devilman
HelterSkelter
A semi-regular
A semi-regular

Post by HelterSkelter »

anyone with the little ability it takes to dl a script to hack your forum, will recognize it as phpbb. The best security is to keep your forum up to date. I know many ppl remove the version info, which is not really necessary because it should not display to users without admin privleges unless it is altered.
I realize my post was harsh, but I would guess that I have spent hundreds of hours designing and coding websights and templates for phpbb and integramod2. I have never charged for any of them, and I see, daily websights with the copyrite info removed. To me it seems ungratefull and dishonest. The fact that so many good programmers and template designers have quit because of this, just adds fuel to the fire. Thx for your post. Im sure adding the copyrite info back will go along way toward unruffeling some feathers.
ps. if youd like me to write the Ti2000 tpl files for your portal, let me know...and you dont have to add any copyrite info for me...lol

i have accually already written them for IMPortal/Integramod2, so it should be a quick edit
http://integramod2.com/IntegraMOD_140_demo/index.php
choose Ti2000 from the "Style Select" block
LLLL
This is my homepage
This is my homepage

Post by LLLL »

The version bar at the bottom is removed all the time mainly so that google does not index it. Script kiddies search for vulnerable forums via google.